LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

LUI 50cc to 75cc conversion

Technical help for Lui, Vega, Cometa, J50, Cento, J125, Starstream.

LUI 50cc to 75cc conversion

Postby Creative Native » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:17 pm

I'm just embarking on converting the wife's recently purchased LUI 50C into a 75cc fire breathing monster :lol:

Anyway, I started another thread about a flywheel nut, which digressed somewhat and a fellow forum member suggested I redirect the conversion question to a new thread. I initially thought the conversion would be straightforward and I lifted the required parts below, off the Rimini Lambretta website. However, the flywheel nut topic threw up a few surprises, such as the standard 50cc crank could be different to a 75cc crank? so now I'm a tad confused on the parts required to accomplish said conversion.

In addition to the below parts, I was intending to include a Variatronic or Casatronic electronic ignition system and the 75cc big bore exhaust.

So, can anyone please enlighten me on the actual parts required? The scooter is currently stripped with all the bodywork at the painters. The engine is on the bench, waiting for me to order the bits :D

Any other advice on what to expect when stripping down or reassembling would be much appreciated ;)

Engine:
Casa 75cc barrel kit (X3)
RLC close ratio gear cluster (RLC056)
3 plate clutch set-up (M131)
15T front sprocket (X29)
Iwis 76 link chain (M141bz)
Vega Lui Cometa 75cc airfilter box unit (B54)
15mm carb kit (X16)
Details:
The 1.5bhp engine is so slow the scooter could actually take root. The ‘Upgade Recipe’ is pretty much the same each time.
Creative Native

Re: LUI 50cc to 75cc conversion

Postby Angry Bloke » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:09 pm

That's looks comprehensive and probably costly ,have you thought about getting a complete 75 engine and stripping it out .
I've seen a couple of engines and complete bikes reasonably priced on eBay and FB recently .
I'm in the middle of a Vega build myself and have found there is an answer to all things Luna in the archives on the Luna forum
http://lunaownersclub.lifediscussion.net

I'd bet your proposed upgrade is covered in detail

Hope this helps
Angry Bloke

Postby Creative Native » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:08 pm

I don't care how much the conversion costs, it's the wife's scooter and she's paying :lol:

However, the parts mentioned come to about £700, but at least once complete the engine will have predominantly new parts and £300 of that figure is on the upgraded ignition system, which I would probably fit regardless of what engine I use. Also, if I strip the engine, I will be in a position to ensure that anything that needs fixing or replaced will be, ensuring confidence and hopefully longevity once complete.

Rimini Lambretta appear to be the main contenders for supplying all the parts, unless anyone knows of someone closer to home?

Thanks for the link to the Luna thread, much information resides within that forum. :D
Creative Native

Postby Creative Native » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:05 pm

Quick question - when fitting the 75cc cylinder head, will I need a 75cc engine cowling or will the 50cc cowling still fit?
Creative Native

Postby Creative Native » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:17 pm

Creative Native wrote:Quick question - when fitting the 75cc cylinder head, will I need a 75cc engine cowling or will the 50cc cowling still fit?

I think I've answered my own question on the above - Rimini Lambretta sell a cowling specifically for the 75cc engine conversion.

I can't find any info on whether my 50cc exhaust manifold will fit / be suitable for the 75cc conversion. Rimini Lambretta offer an exhaust manifold for a std 75cc LUI and also a new "performance" 75cc exhaust. However, I don't know if the 75cc manifold is different from the 50cc?

Also, what is this engine leak down test all about???
Creative Native

Return to Luna & J Range