LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Wiring issues

Technical help for Lui, Vega, Cometa, J50, Cento, J125, Starstream.

Wiring issues

Postby Kev » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:05 pm

Does anyone have a pic of the wiring that goes into the rear of the headlamp on a J50 ?

I've recently had problems where all my lights were working before I stored the scooter away for the winter that was until the other weekend where only my horn worked .

I've had a look today ,to check the bulbs and when I pulled the headlight out there were a few wires loose and I'm not 100% sure where they go .

I now have a working brake light ,main beam and horn , but my tail light and dip don't work :cry:

Any help would be appreciated :D
Kev

Re: Wiring issues

Postby 57Speedster » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:50 pm

The Bulb holder is also the wiring junction box, which connects the wiring loom to the headlamp switch and the bulb holder. All the connections should be colour coded, by a paint spot either between 2 connections for a joint, or to one side of a single connection for the headlamp. You just have to make sure that the wires are plugged into the connection which is the same colour as the wire.
57Speedster

Postby Kev » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:51 pm

Thanks , yes I noticed they were colour coded and did plug the corresponding colours to the correct locations .

The festone bulb for the speedo light had blown and I didn't have a replacement so left it empty until I get a new bulb , headlamp bulb filaments looked good so I didn't change that , but do have a spare I could try .

I do have a stray wire that is attached to the underneath of the speedo , I have no idea where that one goes ?
Kev

Postby 57Speedster » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:21 am

Kev wrote:I do have a stray wire that is attached to the underneath of the speedo , I have no idea where that one goes ?

Is it a white wire ? In the standard set-up, there is no wire on the speedo, but people often add an extra Earth wire in the headset, instead of relying only on the contact between headlamp rim and the headset.
You mention Dip beam, but standard J50 had a single filament headlamp. Has yours been modified ?
The festoon lamp which lights the speedo is also the "Pilot" / " City" lamp,(equivalent to a car sidelight), visible through a hole in the J50 headlamp reflector. Tail light should also come on when the Pilot lamp is lit.
Could you post pictures of your headset wiring, bulb holder, light switch, and inside headlamp rim, just so we know what equipment we are talking about.
57Speedster

Postby Kev » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:32 pm

57Speedster wrote:
Kev wrote:I do have a stray wire that is attached to the underneath of the speedo , I have no idea where that one goes ?

Is it a white wire ? In the standard set-up, there is no wire on the speedo, but people often add an extra Earth wire in the headset, instead of relying only on the contact between headlamp rim and the headset.
You mention Dip beam, but standard J50 had a single filament headlamp. Has yours been modified ?
The festoon lamp which lights the speedo is also the "Pilot" / " City" lamp,(equivalent to a car sidelight), visible through a hole in the J50 headlamp reflector. Tail light should also come on when the Pilot lamp is lit.
Could you post pictures of your headset wiring, bulb holder, light switch, and inside headlamp rim, just so we know what equipment we are talking about.

Thanks , I'll take some pics on the weekend , I did suspect the wire attached to the the speedo was an earth wire , it doesn't look a factory fit wire and its black in colour .

I didn't know the J50 only had a dipped beam headlamp , I assumed it was dipped and main beam as there's a two filament bulb fitted for the headlamp , the headlamp reflector does have a cut out for the pilot light / city light .
Kev

Postby Kev » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:53 pm

Thanks for your help 57speedster , I checked every individual wire was in the correct place and that it had a good contact and hey presto I know have fully functioning lights :D
Kev

Postby 57Speedster » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:37 pm

Good to hear that. Bad connections can be tricky sometimes.
Cheers
57 Speedster
57Speedster

Return to Luna & J Range