LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Flywheel

Technical help for all early models, A, B, C, LC, D, LD, E & F models

Flywheel

Postby oggie » Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:16 am

I have bought a variatronic kit for my model f as I was having trouble with the original stator plate and couldn't get a replacement ht coil. I must admit I was sceptical as to whether it would work as the kickstart engages directly with the flywheel, that bit of it is ok and the engine now runs properly for the first time however it keeps shearing the woodruff key. I presume its not the correct taper on the new flywheel, any suggestions.
oggie

Re: Flywheel

Postby jbcollier » Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:43 pm

Clean both tapers and lightly apply bluing to the crank taper. Leave the woodruff key out. Slide the flywheel on, apply pressure and turn it on the crank taper while holding the crank from turning. Remove the flywheel and check to see how much contact you have.

If the contact area is fairly large, you can use a small amount of fine valve grinding paste to work the flywheel against the crank to mate the two surfaces better.

If there is hardly any contact shown on the taper, you'll need to machine or replace parts to get a proper match.
jbcollier

Postby oggie » Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:00 pm

Thanks jb i will give it a go and see how it looks, the worry is that the flywheel has been machined wrong, I tried Swiss Tony for a coil but no luck before i went the variatronic route. I also asked one of the dealers at the isle of wight if there was any chance of getting a replacement ht coil for the stator plate, he had a casa catalogue he reckoned the only way would be if they did a one off but he thought it would cost a lot even if they would bother, he also said no one knows how to rewind that type as it's the low tension and high tension all on the same coil. I don't know if he's right or not.
oggie

Postby jbcollier » Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:28 pm

They make coils like that for Villiers engines. There are coil winding companies, mainly for industrial applications, that can disassemble your coil and rewind it. It is not cheap as a one-off but it is possible. I have had it done in a different application. Can't you just get another used coil? Would one off a C work?
jbcollier

Return to Pre 57