LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

GT 150 kits

Technical help for all early models, A, B, C, LC, D, LD, E & F models

GT 150 kits

Postby mm man » Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:29 pm

Hi
Just out of interest has anyone had any thing to do with the Gran Turismo GT 150 kits . Possible looking to fit to a 1954 model D 150
Any reviews ?
Are they worth the money?
Thanks
mm man

Re: GT 150 kits

Postby gerryjunior » Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:00 am

i have one of the early kits ,it's in my d 150 , I like it , it makes the scoot more useable in my opinion, pulls a lot better, no big gap between 2nd and 3rd and faster top end, I don't drive the nuts out of it, its still a very old scoot , but it will hold a genuine 50 to 55 instead of just hitting 50 now and then , tops out around 60 in good conditions , but you would need to have a good crank, clutch etc, I wouldn't fit one to an old engine and expect the rest of the engine to last very long, the main issue i find isn't the kit its the original gearing that lets things down, they don't like hills full stop , a 4 speed box would transform things , i have a modern dellorto fitted , it came with the kit, and an electronic kit, a miller exhaust which I think is a must , I also have 10" wheels which also helps the gearing in my opinion,
gerryjunior

Postby Steve J » Sun May 01, 2022 1:19 pm

As standard, the D/LD150 is overgeared in 3rd gear - increasing the diameter of the rear wheel by fitting 10" wheels will make matters worse, especially if hill climbing is important to you. I guess that the GT kit with a 24mm PHBL carb might rev a fair bit higher than the standard engine, so lowering the gearing might give better all round results. Fitting the 12/45 teeth crownwheel and pinion from a late LD 125 Mk3 or French LD 125 Mk4 would be the easiest way of doing that. If, however, you want to reach high speeds going down long hills, then 10" wheels with standard gearing is probably the best option.....
Steve J

Postby gerryjunior » Mon May 02, 2022 10:49 pm

thanks for that, i like the handling with 10 " wheels, i definitely wont be going fast down long hills, but good to know regarding gearing, and yes the gt kit revs higher than a standard barrell, also good on fuel.
gerryjunior

Postby jbcollier » Thu May 05, 2022 4:22 pm

The shaft drive engines have a number of fatal flaws and there aren’t really any solutions. It is what it is. I have hopped my up quite a bit and it does go faster but not better. You can’t make it into an all rounder like you can with the chain-drive engines. If I drive it the way it was designed to be, low revs, shift early, top out 35-ish, it is buttery smooth and a joy but SLOW. I’ve fit an alloy kit, bigger carb, stroked crank, squish head, electronic ignition, custom expansion chamber and I can get over 60, no problem, but with the high revs comes vibration. With the increased power comes other parts failing. I could rebalance the crank to make it smoother up top but then it would vibrate low down where you spend most of your time.

I’m not going to undo my mods but, if I want to go fast or far, I pull out a later scoot.
jbcollier

Postby mm man » Tue May 10, 2022 9:37 pm

Thanks guys for your input and for taking the time to reply. My friend did the London to Brighton run last weekend unfortunately my scooter is still not running / starting correctly so I wasn’t able to attend. He was quite impressed with the scoots that had kits fitted (to quote him “ it’s the kind of riding we do on coast to coast and the Derby 150” ) and after he spoke to the owners and some more enquiries the general feedback is the same as yours .
So good food for thought.
Thanks again
mm man

Return to Pre 57