LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Mystery Coil

Technical help for all early models, A, B, C, LC, D, LD, E & F models

Mystery Coil

Postby bordercot196 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:28 pm

Just about finished stripping my 1954 D125 and when I opened up the headlamp to make a note of the wiring I found a copper wire coil wound round a spool fitted to a bracket which in turn was fitted to what appears to be a homemade bracket attached to and partly obscuring the top headlamp fixing screw. The coil resistance measures about 2.1 ohm. One end is connected to earth at the lower headlamp fixing screw and the other end is connected by a red wire to the lower right terminal of the paxolin connection board to which the headlight bulb base is fitted to - as seen when the paxolin board and reflector are lowered towards you from the headlamp. (This terminal is directly below one of the copper strips which feed the bulb contacts).
I've searched all the wiring diagrams I can find - both my own and on the internet and none of them show such a coil. Has anyone come across this before or knows what the coil is supposed to do ?
bordercot196

Re: Mystery Coil

Postby jbcollier » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:21 pm

I can only speculate but it may have been an attempt to cure an issue with light bulbs blowing prematurely.
jbcollier

Re: Mystery Coil

Postby bordercot196 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:03 pm

Thanks for the reply. I can't see any need for it so I'll leave it out when I eventually get to the rebuild and rewiring stage.
bordercot196

Return to Pre 57