LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Rear Hub Removal

Technical help for all early models, A, B, C, LC, D, LD, E & F models

Rear Hub Removal

Postby bordercot196 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:36 pm

Am I right in thinking that on my 1954 D125 to access the rear brake shoes, after I've removed the central slotted wheel nut, the complete wheel and hub can be knocked off by tapping the wheel rim from the opposite side (via a block of wood to protect the rim) ? At the moment it is refusing to budge so I'm dosing the spindle and keyway area with WD40 to try and help it.
bordercot196

Re: Rear Hub Removal

Postby jbcollier » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:03 pm

Please get or make the proper puller. Rear brake drums are easily broken. The D/LD use a two-hole puller while the chain-drive Lambrettas use a three hole puller. Some of the three hole pullers have an extra hole to cover the D/LD as well.
jbcollier

Postby bordercot196 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:55 pm

Take your point re not damaging the hub. I came across this method of hub removal in Warring's Book of the Lambretta Motor- Scooter. As the hub is fastened to the rear wheel via the 3 domed nuts provided all effort in removal is directed at the wheel the hub comes off fastened to the wheel. After I'd let the WD40 do its work I released the main hub nut and with it still on the shaft thread to protect the thread from damage, a couple of sharp taps with a hammer on to the nut was sufficient to release the fit on the taper portion of the shaft and let me remove the wheel complete with hub. I found that the shaft key was rusty making it more difficult to release the wheel from the hub,, so the WD40 probably helped there. Thanks for your comments, much appreciated.
bordercot196

Postby jbcollier » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:19 pm

Glad it was successful. Get the puller for the next time.
jbcollier

Postby Scooterdude » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:59 am

Ive just found out that dispirit my front break being surprisingly good for a drum only about two thirds of the shoe area are contacting the drum so I will have to come up with a similar gadget to sort this out.

I do have a router so will look at that as the cutter.
Scooterdude

Postby Scooterdude » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:01 am

Oops,!! Wrong thread, ment to reply to the brake skimming tool thread. :?
Scooterdude

Return to Pre 57