LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Clutch Lever Return Spring

Technical help for all early models, A, B, C, LC, D, LD, E & F models

Clutch Lever Return Spring

Postby bordercot196 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:16 pm

I am gradually working my way through the restoration of a 1954 D125 and can't figure out how the above item fits. When I stripped the bike this spring had collapsed just leaving the large diameter end dangling off the lever fulcrum point. I've just fitted new clutch plates and springs, reassembled the housing/gasket, etc, and have bought a new spring to replace the old damaged one. Can't find any pictures online. The long end of the spring seems to fit onto the plate which holds the clutch cable outer sheath top hat but where does the other end with the large circle locate ?
bordercot196

Re: Clutch Lever Return Spring

Postby jbcollier » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:54 pm

jbcollier

Postby bordercot196 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:44 pm

Thanks jb. I have a parts list/exploded diagram like this and I still can't figure it out. For the spring to be effective and return the clutch lever to its "at rest" position i.e. when the handlebar clutch lever is released, one end of the spring must react with the clutch lever and the other end must go to a fixed "earth" point. Rightly or wrongly I am assuming that the long straight part of the spring locates against the plate Item 38 in your diagram because it has a "U" shaped bend in it the correct width to fit over the edge of the plate. The other end of the spring is formed into a large "D" with the vertical part of the "D" extending slightly past the bottom of the "D". This is the mystery end. The "D" is at least twice the diameter of the lever boss,item 29 and no way can it locate anywhere on the arm. On both mine and your diagrams is a pin, item 28. Heaven only knows what this does or where on the lever it is actually located. It isn't visible to the naked eye externally on the lever and if it is on the inside of the clutch housing what does it do ?
Do you have any pictures of the spring in situ on your scooter ?
bordercot196

Postby Rob Miller » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:01 pm

Ive just popped out to the garage to check my memory on this one.
On the clutch cover behind where the clutch lever shaft enters there is a hole the same diameter as the spring. It goes right through from bottom to top. The straight part of the 'D' fits through this from the bottom, the end sticks out of the top. Fit this first and then enter the lever shaft through the centre of the 'D', then fit the spring hook onto the lever.
Rob Miller

Postby Steve J » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:07 pm

The 'U' shape on the longer part of the spring hooks over the operating lever, and the straight section on the shorter end of the spring locates into a hole drilled in the alloy clutch cover itself. The spring needs to be positioned with the straight end located into the clutch cover casting first, and the other end hooked over the arm once the lever is inserted into place. If this is still as clear as mud to you, I'll see if I can find an image or two! :)
Steve J

Postby bordercot196 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:53 pm

Many thanks for the replies, they certainly make more sense than my ideas. Haven't yet had time to get into the garage to have a go. I didn't realise that the spring had to be fitted to the clutch housing before that is fitted to the crankcase. I'll report back as soon as I can.
bordercot196

Postby bordercot196 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:13 pm

It's been a long time coming but success !!. To cut a long story short problem identified as a poorly formed lever return spring which, try as I might, I couldn't get to fit correctly. After a bit of Googling and looking at various images it became clear that the spring would never fit due to its incorrect form. Returned it to supplier who replaced it with a slightly better formed one - still wouldn't fit. Tried a second supplier and bingo a correctly formed spring which fitted without any trouble
Now have a second query. After reassembling everything it is clear that the clutch lever is hard to move after fitting new plates (3 cork and 2 steels) and 6 new springs. Large circlip fitted in bell housing groove correctly and I have endfloat on the clutch pull rod. I suspect that fitting new plates has reduced any clearance on plate pack and as new springs were longer than the old ones this has increased pressure on the plates. I am a long way off fitting clutch handlebar lever and cable (engine on bench at the moment) but will clutch handlebar lever be able to exert enough action to release clutch pressure sufficiently to allow gear change rotation ?
bordercot196

Postby jbcollier » Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:26 pm

Yup, the clutch is very stiff on a bevel-drive. It does work though and work very well indeed. Best shifting scoot I own.
jbcollier

Return to Pre 57