LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Throttle Assembly

Technical help for all early models, A, B, C, LC, D, LD, E & F models

Throttle Assembly

Postby bordercot196 » Tue May 14, 2019 5:08 pm

Have just been refitting the throttle assembly to the handlebar on my D125 MkII and notice that on the handlebar directly in line with the long axial slot there is a hole about 1" away from the end of the slot. Have saved all the items when I stripped the throttle and there is nothing there to fit in the hole. It looks like the hole has been tapped to accept some sort of grub screw - but for what purpose ? (The same hole appears on the gearchange side of the handlebar). Was it used to hold the outer of the throttle cable ? I am assuming that the throttle cable outer butts up against the carburettor arm at one end and the brass inner cable fixing at the other. Anybody got any ideas ?
bordercot196

Re: Throttle Assembly

Postby mm man » Tue May 14, 2019 7:53 pm

I think these are the missing fittings outer sleeve grubs ....or have I got the wrong end of the stick ?

http://www.scooterrestorations.com/lamb ... etta-l-17/
mm man

Postby bordercot196 » Wed May 15, 2019 11:17 am

I have these outer sleeve grubs which connect the outer to the inner sleeve. The holes are actually in the handlebar (alloy bar) about an inch forward and inline with the machined slot. When the inner and outer sleeves are fitted, plus two spacer rings and a circlip and with the inner sleeve in its furthest outboard position up against the spacer/circlip, the holes are covered up when the front brake lever clamp is moved back and positioned up to the edge of the inner sleeve. Maybe they were of use in the past but are now no longer necessary ?
bordercot196

Postby bordercot196 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:34 pm

Further to above posts I still can't get the throttle cable mechanism to act properly and actuate the carburettor lever. After yet another strip of the throttle assembly I've come to the conclusion that I will never get it to work as the outer cable sheath is free to move and, until this is retained, I can't see the inner cable can slide axially and move the carb lever. I've had a trawl through my spare parts catalogue (for a D125 with alloy handlebars) and I've found what seems to be an outer cable retainer with a small screw at right angles to the main body. I'm wondering if this part locates in line with the handlebar hole I mentioned in my first post and then the screw goes through to clamp the cable outer and retain it in position to the handlebar to stop axial movement of the cable. Anybody got any ideas to see if I am on the right track ?
bordercot196

Postby jbcollier » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:29 pm

Have a look at this page from a manual:

https://jbcollier.smugmug.com/Scooter/i-TB6vsmt/A

Blow up of the diagram:

https://jbcollier.smugmug.com/Scooter/i-zK3khnr/A

Helpful?
jbcollier

Postby LambrettaJourney » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:28 pm

I have a number of LD.s and produced the You Tube clip here that may help. Let me know if you need any further information / diagrams or part numbers.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdCcN0H ... e=youtu.be

I should also mention that in regards to the Outer Sheathe problems you mention, I have had to use a cable tie to hold the cable sheathe in place on the handle bar and on a few LD's, to stop the sheath from moving. No idea why. Some require a cable tie and some do not. No obvious reason that I can see. It;s as though some do not operate as smoothly as others. Remember the cable sheathe is also (metal fixings tie - similar to cable tie) tied on the frame in a few areas which should stop it moving as well, so it depends how and where the first metal / cable tie is fixed to the frame. I have fixed a cable tie on the handlebar on a few of mine that have a similar problem to what your experiencing

If you want any further info or diagrams, let me know.

All the best......
LambrettaJourney

Return to Pre 57