LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

GranTurismo LD kit - looks interesting....

Technical help for all early models, A, B, C, LC, D, LD, E & F models

GranTurismo LD kit - looks interesting....

Postby Steve J » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:43 am

Just spotted this:- https://www.facebook.com/GT186/posts/13 ... 8623444342

I'll be interested to see how the project goes - there's talk of an uprated driveshaft as well. Once that issue has been solved, the next weak link may become apparent :o
Steve J

Re: GranTurismo LD kit - looks interesting....

Postby jbcollier » Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:05 pm

Still on my first driveshaft but I did shear a rear axle.

I'd love a four speed box, please and thank you.

(I realize that it would be a LOT of work)
jbcollier

Postby gerryjunior » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:44 pm

i agree a four speed box would transform a shaft drive,
gerryjunior

Postby Steve J » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:51 pm

[quote="jbcollier"]Still on my first driveshaft but I did shear a rear axle.

Looks like you've already found the next weak link..... :o

Apart from transferring the drive to the rear wheel, the torsion driveshaft is designed to twist slightly to absorb shock loadings, as might be caused by bad gearchanges for example. Fitting a thicker/stronger driveshaft reduces the chances of fracture due to shock loads, but allows more of the shock load to be applied to other components in the drive train due to absorbing less of the shock load itself. The rear axle is relatively thin, and the splined section holding the crown wheel is the vulnerable part - I've stripped down rear axles from standard machines, and seen a fair amount of twisting of the axle between crown wheel and bearing mounting section.

My brother ran a modified LD for a while, and got tired with snapping standard 150 driveshafts, so he fitted a thicker version from a 125 LD. No more snapped driveshafts, but one day he attempted to pull away from traffic lights, let the clutch out and nothing happened - the axle had completely sheared between crownwheel and hub.

I'm not aware of any LD rear axles other than the original type, but an uprated version made from higher quality material would seem like a sensible idea..... :idea:
Steve J

Return to Pre 57