LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

1955 Model D150 - Wiring loom placement

Technical help for all early models, A, B, C, LC, D, LD, E & F models

1955 Model D150 - Wiring loom placement

Postby Big Al » Wed May 13, 2020 5:10 pm

I will shortly be starting to rebuild this scooter.
I have a new wiring loom (Casa Part No: E 109), and would appreciate help with the placement on the frame and the connections.
One end has Brown/Grey/Green/Black wires.
In the middle there are two separate branches. The first has Grey/Grey/Blue wires, and the next one has Red/Green/Brown/Green wires.
The other end divides into three, each being a slightly different length to the other two. One has Red/Grey, the second has an earth tag, and the third has Black/Blue wires.

I feel sure it will be apparent once I start to put it all together, but it would be very helpful to know in advance exactly how and where to place the loom on the frame, and what the wires should connect to. I think it might be difficult to move the loom once the engine has been fitted to the frame.

My scooter was never fitted with a battery, so I believe at least one of the red wires is not required. (Casa Part No: 104 for non-battery was not available when I bought my loom)

(Thanks John Collier for directing me to your photos on an earlier post.)
Big Al

Re: 1955 Model D150 - Wiring loom placement

Postby jbcollier » Thu May 14, 2020 4:27 pm

Here's the two wiring diagrams side by side:

https://jbcollier.smugmug.com/Scooter/i-7nDF9FP/A
jbcollier

Postby Big Al » Fri May 15, 2020 8:12 pm

Many thanks John.
The two wiring diagrams are much better than those I have seen elsewhere.
I now have a much better picture of where to place the loom.
Which edition of "The Book of the Lambretta Motor-Scooter" were they taken from please?
Big Al

Postby jbcollier » Sat May 16, 2020 2:32 pm

Pitman's Motor-Cyclists' Library, The Book of the Lambretta Motor-Scooter (All Models up to the "LDB"), 1960 reprint.
jbcollier

Postby Big Al » Sat May 16, 2020 9:16 pm

Thanks John. I have now found a reprinted version of the 1957 edition, published in 2010 by Floyd Clymer, who bought the rights from Pitmans.

I now know where 99% of the connections are made, but have two small queries:
1) If the Blue/Grey/Grey branch goes to the brake light switch, are both grey wires connected to the switch?
2)At the rear light end of the loom, where was the earth tag loop originally attached?
Big Al

Postby jbcollier » Sun May 17, 2020 1:13 am

Floyd Clymer never bought the rights to anything. He flat out stole European books and published them as his own. He's also long dead. I'm sure his namesake company has straightened out by now.

Earth the tail light to one of the tail light mounting screws.

Not sure about the brake light switch question as I don't have a battery loom.
jbcollier

Postby Big Al » Sun May 17, 2020 8:11 am

Ok John. Many thanks.
On the flyleaf of the book it said that Clymer bought the rights to the book, but it was his statement!
I have just seen that on the back cover it says VelocePress used new technology to reprint titles that had been unavailable for many years. The copy I have is said to be a faithful reproduction of the Floyd Clymer publication of the 1957 edition, published in 2010 by VelocePress (not Clymer as I first thought!)
Big Al

Return to Pre 57