LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Torsion bar install set up LD1953

Technical help for all early models, A, B, C, LC, D, LD, E & F models

Torsion bar install set up LD1953

Postby jdevane5 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:30 pm

I am just starting to assemble the torsion bar and have done the usual, read the info on the forum and web...
I need a couple of questions answered as I can find nothing on the subject.

1.Should the torsion arm be exactly vertical when starting -Or does it not matter, its all about the preload?
2. Should the engine be sitting centrally between the bump stops as a starting point?

I get the 22 / 21 spline set up and the preload needed (about 9/9.5mm) however its working out the starting point.

Any help welcome, Thanks
jdevane5

Re: Torsion bar install set up LD1953

Postby Rob Miller » Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:33 pm

The engine should be resting against the rear rubber bump stop as a start. It then follows that the suspension lever should be slightly clockwise of vertical to get your 5/16'' or 9 to 10mm of preload. You will need a preload tool to line the link up to insert the pin. Be very careful as it's too easy to snap an engine lug when tapping the pin in.
Rob Miller

Re: Torsion bar install set up LD1953

Postby jdevane5 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:15 pm

Thanks alot, got it sorted.

Its definitely a delicate operation, first time knocking the pin to engine in place -liner bearing was slightly off and then heard the noise of the bearing flying around my workshop!

Ordered the bushes via Rimini-Which is the way forward... bit of grease on the packing washers and pin, gentle tap with a nylon mallet sorted in with an eye on alignment.

Have to say this webpage really helped in the set up http://www.newtoyouhomes.com/jbsitefolder/LDtech.html
jdevane5

Return to Pre 57