LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Performance thoughts? LD150 1957

Technical help for all early models, A, B, C, LC, D, LD, E & F models

Performance thoughts? LD150 1957

Postby GianfraCh » Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:36 pm

So, I have put the correct gap on the Spark plug B7hS and I have taken the bike out for a quick drive around my area.

The following happened and I have 1 thing in mind that could be the problem though Im not expert with this and some thoughts would be great help:!

The bike was performing well, the compression seems okay and with this cold it takes maybe a bit more kicks to switch on! I was riding normally, all gears perform well, acceleration seemed fine and on hills was also performing well. After a bit It started to feel weak and was not accelerating even with the throttle open at full it felts like it was trying and trying to keep up until it switch itself off and I could not started it at all and had to push it back home.

It feels like maybe the carb is quite dirty inside and is not mixing well or old fuel is clogging it a bit?? could a dirty carburator not let the bike switch on or perform properly? (this bike was off for years and had old fuel inside which I have replaced with good Castrol 2 stroke oil and fresh fuel and it has performed well after that until what happened today! I have also replaces all outer and inner cables and spark plug and adjusted the kickstarter as it was laying flat when the bike was on) I did check and seems that I still have fuel too so I discarded that.

Any thoughts on what I should check? or whats the best way to clean a carburator?

Much appreciated !

- G
GianfraCh

Re: Performance thoughts? LD150 1957

Postby MickYork » Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:13 pm

Have you cleaned the air filter ?
MickYork

Postby GianfraCh » Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:16 pm

Hi Mick!

I have cleaned it yeah
GianfraCh

Postby Rob Miller » Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:36 pm

Did you turn the fuel tap to reserve? C is closed. Down is on. R is reserve. Also you could disconnect the fuel pipe from the carb and make sure the fuel flows in both 'on' positions. The tap drillings are quite small and could be blocked.
Rob Miller

Postby GianfraCh » Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:39 pm

Yeah I thought the carb needs a good service. I did check and fuel flows on both Open and Reserve. So I might just do a good carb cleanse.
GianfraCh

Postby jbcollier » Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:18 pm

By all means clean the carb but first check the follwing:

Shine a flashlight into the fuel tank. Is it clean?

If it's dirty, that's where the carb is getting its debris. Clean it out first.

Make sure the fuel cap breather hole is open. Make sure you can "blow" through it.

Remove the fuel tap and make sure the inlet screen is clear.

Fuel line is reasonably short and routed directly? Not long with a loop?

If it runs fine after cooling down, go for another ride until it quits again. Now check for spark. No spark? Either a coil or the condenser is failing when it gets hot -- a common problem.
jbcollier

Postby GianfraCh » Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:49 pm

Thank you JB.

Very helpful! I am gonna check the fuel tank surely now, and clean the carb and see if that solves the problem! Cheers!
GianfraCh

Return to Pre 57