LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

1955 Model D150 - Torsion lever arm problem

Technical help for all early models, A, B, C, LC, D, LD, E & F models

1955 Model D150 - Torsion lever arm problem

Postby Big Al » Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:34 pm

I have put one end of the figure-of-eight link in the lever arm, and pushed the short pin through, securing it at the outer end with a circlip over the tab washer. The pin doesn't go through far enough for me to be able to get the second circlip into the groove in the pin at the inner end. It's not far short, but I think the new paint on the inner and outer surface of the lever arm at each end of the pin has added to the length of the housing. I'm a bit mystified by this, as I thought the whole of the lever arm (apart from the section that passes through the frame tube in the bronze liner) was painted body colour in the factory and not left bare metal.

I see no option but to remove some of the new paint around the link pin holes. Perhaps the factory paint finish on the lever arm was quite thin. Is this the right solution?
Big Al

Re: 1955 Model D150 - Torsion lever arm problem

Postby Rob Miller » Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:36 pm

It might be easier to put the pin through from the other side. The remade lockwashers tend not to sit flat so you can use a socket over the pin to get the washer to lie flat. It's easier then to fit the circlip on the flywheel side.
Rob Miller

Postby jbcollier » Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:32 pm

Yes, it is supposed to be painted. How far off is it. Just a wee bit? Maybe lightly sanding the paint thinner? Hard to say for sure without looking at it.
jbcollier

Postby Big Al » Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:35 pm

Whichever way I put the pin in, the problem remains.
To avoid taking off any new paint, I've come up with an alternative solution.
I've put the pin in, and secured it at both ends with circlips. Then I've placed the lock washer over the protruding end of the pin, and a plain washer covering that, with a small hole that just allows the grease nipple to be screwed home into the pin. The grease nipple therefore holds both washers in place, and stops the lock washer turning.
I guess I could put some loctite on the nipple threads for extra security.
What do you think of this solution?
Big Al

Postby jbcollier » Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:40 pm

Any way you can post a photo? Or, a link to a photo?

Myself, I would not hold suspension pieces in place using the threads of a grease fitting. Not sure you are saying that though as you also talk about clips.
jbcollier

Postby Big Al » Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:29 pm

As I said John, I've pushed the pin right through and secured it with a circlip at each end. Like that, it can only rotate. It can't come out, either end.
I've then put the lock washer over the end that faces outwards, in the correct position so that, when held in place by the plain washer over it and the grease nipple, it stops the pin rotating.
It is just the plain washer and lockwasher that are held tightly by the grease nipple, which is screwed right down onto the two washers.
Big Al

Postby Rob Miller » Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:29 am

Have you thought of filing the lockwasher to thin it enough to fit it correctly?
Rob Miller

Postby Big Al » Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:54 pm

Thanks Rob. Yes, I had thought of that, but the original lockwashers are already pretty thin, and the new ones are much thicker.
I must only be a lockwasher thickness away from getting the second circlip on with everything in its correct place, and no plain washer involved.
The paint is the culprit - on both outer ends of the link pin ends, but its not at all easy to thin it sufficiently without exposing primer or bare metal.
The front mudguard has to go back to the sprayers, as I've noticed some paint runs on the top, right where they can be seen. I might as well take the torsion lever arm back to them at the same time, and ask them to remove the paint from around the link holes and just spray a very light topcoat on instead.
Many thanks for your help.
I do have photos John, but I just can't get them onto this forum. I could email them quite easily though.
Best wishes, Alan
Big Al

Postby jbcollier » Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:38 pm

If you email them to me, I can post them.

j b c o l l i e r (at) s h a w (dot) c a
jbcollier

Postby jbcollier » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:47 pm

jbcollier

Postby jbcollier » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:56 pm

Looking good. Couple of quick comments:

- bottom of the shock should be silver

- make sure there is absolutely NO tension on the rear mudguard. I doubled up on some of the rubber insulators to make sure. Any tension at all and the mudguard will split!

To your issue. You say it's close. Looks like new circlips to me, and they look pretty thick. Do you still have the old ones kicking around? If so, see if they are thinner.
jbcollier

Postby jbcollier » Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:07 pm

jbcollier

Postby Rob Miller » Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:09 pm

Well spotted JB, those circlips do look thick.
Rob Miller

Postby Big Al » Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:08 pm

Many thanks John.

The circlips I used were the original ones from the scooter when I dismantled it. The pins and the plain washers in the photo are the old ones too, and I've had the old figure-of-eight link piece re-plated.

I did buy two new lockwashers, but they are slightly thicker than those I took off. I have also replaced the grease nipples with new ones, as the old ones were the wrong type, and I bought a new 3-part black rubber set.

After reading your latest message, I went to my local nut and bolt shop today and bought three slightly thinner circlips, so will try those next.
Big Al

Postby Big Al » Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:58 pm

I have tried the new circlips, but they are only marginally thinner than the originals, and do not solve my problem. I will have to rub down the thick layer of paint around the outside of the lever arm link pin holes, and use a thinner layer of new paint.
Regarding the rear mudguard John, mine was already split and I had it welded up and repaired before re-painting. I can imagine it could split again quite easily. I had been warned about this by others too.

The existing shock absorber is a very old one, which I had painted just so that I could put the scooter together again properly. I will be buying a new one, and will have just the top section colour matched to the body.

A question about the brake pedal. Is it easier to fit this before installing the legshields, or afterwards?
Big Al

Postby jbcollier » Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:54 pm

To reduce the chance of scratches, I would fit the leg shield first, tape up the brake pedal and fit it afterwards.

Are the pins new? Or the originals? If new, can you compare the lengths and groove positions between the old and the new?
jbcollier

Postby Big Al » Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:41 am

Thanks John.
I used the original pins, not new ones.
Big Al

Postby jbcollier » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:20 pm

Then we are back to paint thickness. Painters often use a "thick" primer to cover imperfection. Can be very useful on body work, problematic elsewhere.
jbcollier

Postby Big Al » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:58 pm

Yes, we are John.
I will have to do what I thought was probably necessary when I first posted on this.
I will have to remove paint from the area where the circlips and lock washer sit against the lever arm, around the pivot pin hole.
The paint finish is excellent, but the paint sprayer (who I was led to believe had sprayed scooters before) painted many areas that should not have had paint on them at all (many of the threads for example), and I have spent a great deal of time taking off this surplus paint. If I had known he was that inexperienced, I would have gone through all the items with him first. I will know what to do next time!!
Many thanks.
Big Al

Postby Big Al » Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:27 pm

After sanding down the problem area of the lever arm and repainting lightly, I was able to install the arm, and fit a new lock washer and the circlip.
Many thanks John.
Big Al

Return to Pre 57