LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Best Grease or equivalents?

Technical help for all early models, A, B, C, LC, D, LD, E & F models

Best Grease or equivalents?

Postby GianfraCh » Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:45 pm

Hey Lambrettistas.

I have been looking through some of the manuals for LD Lambrettas and I see the types of lubricants they specify in there. But I cannot find them around ! It might be a silly question! but what are the best ones out there you would recommend? for Bearings, cables, levers.. etc?

Cheers!
GianfraCh

Re: Best Grease or equivalents?

Postby Rob Miller » Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:34 am

Use a high melting point grease for bearings, fork internals and any other place you need to grease. Use nylon lined control cables, they should not be greased or oiled. Sparingly use copperslip grease on brake parts. you don't want grease on your brake shoes!
Rob Miller

Postby jbcollier » Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:47 am

Don't forget those manuals were written in the 50s. They are recommending you use regular engine oil as two stroke mix! DON'T !!

Use a name-brand, synthetic or semi-synthetic at 4% if you are running a stock engine.

140w gear oil is still available for the final drive.

Use either 30w non-detergent oil (hardware store or small engine shop) or a motorcycle transmission oil (10-30 or 10-40) in the gearbox. Many automotive engine oils have "slippery" mileage saving additives that can cause clutches to slip.

As above for grease recommendations.

+1 - "teflon" lined cables are a no-brainer and do not lube them.

There actually is brake cam grease but it is hard to find. Whatever you use, use it very sparingly.
jbcollier

Postby GianfraCh » Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:17 pm

jbcollier wrote:Don't forget those manuals were written in the 50s. They are recommending you use regular engine oil as two stroke mix! DON'T !!

Use a name-brand, synthetic or semi-synthetic at 4% if you are running a stock engine.

140w gear oil is still available for the final drive.

Use either 30w non-detergent oil (hardware store or small engine shop) or a motorcycle transmission oil (10-30 or 10-40) in the gearbox. Many automotive engine oils have "slippery" mileage saving additives that can cause clutches to slip.

As above for grease recommendations.

+1 - "teflon" lined cables are a no-brainer and do not lube them.

There actually is brake cam grease but it is hard to find. Whatever you use, use it very sparingly.

Thank you JB. Didnt know about the teflon lined cables. Would you know where is the best place to get them? Im guessing is good to use. them for Throttle, brakes and gear change? I cannot really seem to find them.

I have bought a good Castrol 2 stroke oil for the mix with fuel, and also have used SAE 30 for Gear box and SAE 140 for transmission.

Thank you in advance!
GianfraCh

Postby jbcollier » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:09 pm

You'd have to check to be sure but I think the Casa Lambretta cables are lined.
jbcollier

Return to Pre 57