LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

LD150 1957 kick starter

Technical help for all early models, A, B, C, LC, D, LD, E & F models

LD150 1957 kick starter

Postby GianfraCh » Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:16 pm

Hi pals, Ive got one question

Is there a number of twists Ive got to do on the kick starter? when I got the lambretta The kick starter would lay low and not come back when I would kick it.

So I took the kick lever out and with the allen key I went maybe one twist until I felt resistance or it wanting to come back so I held it and placed the kick lever again and it didnt lay low anymore and came back up as normal, but I still feel it might be a bit strange as I feel it goes a tiny bit forward and has a little rattling sound or sometimes It will come back almost all the way but not completely...

I would appreciate some help and thank you in advance!

Cheers
Gianfra
GianfraCh

Re: LD150 1957 kick starter

Postby jbcollier » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:24 pm

What style of kick-start mech do you have. '57 might have the planetary-gear type.
jbcollier

Postby GianfraCh » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:51 pm

jbcollier wrote:What style of kick-start mech do you have. '57 might have the planetary-gear type.

Yes I think it is. is the one with the gear inside. I have clean the carb and went for a ride today it worked better. It didnt really switch off like last time. but when it got warmer it did seem to take a bit of time to switch back on... Is it difficutl to change the Condenser? Im thinking of buying a new coil as well.

But.. I have noticed that the kick starter gets a bit stuck and I have to giggle it a bit and when I do that the bike seems to switch on so Im not even sure if its the coil or condenser. cos I manage to switch it back on.. (still got to do the adjustment on the carb when is warm)

when its at minimun it seemed to be okay. but I think is too cold now and it switches off.. =/

PS.. whats the flywheel tool needed for a 57?
GianfraCh

Postby jbcollier » Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:01 am

I haven't worked on that style of kickstart. Here's what I have:

Reading, it sounds like it has to be carefully set-up. Read the instructions and check that you have done it correctly.
jbcollier

Postby GianfraCh » Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:31 pm

Thank you so much JB! I will take a look at this! =)
GianfraCh

Postby Rob Miller » Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:50 pm

Don't forget you have to have some backlash (clearance) between the bevels. This is achieved between the kickstart and the clutch bevels by adding extra gaskets until there is a tiny bit of clearance. I also had to use extra gaskets between the two kickstart castings on the last one I did so the kickstart would return properly.
Rob Miller

Postby GianfraCh » Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:01 pm

Rob Miller wrote:Don't forget you have to have some backlash (clearance) between the bevels. This is achieved between the kickstart and the clutch bevels by adding extra gaskets until there is a tiny bit of clearance. I also had to use extra gaskets between the two kickstart castings on the last one I did so the kickstart would return properly.

Interesting, Thank you for the info Rob.
GianfraCh

Postby GianfraCh » Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:40 pm

Rob Miller wrote:Don't forget you have to have some backlash (clearance) between the bevels. This is achieved between the kickstart and the clutch bevels by adding extra gaskets until there is a tiny bit of clearance. I also had to use extra gaskets between the two kickstart castings on the last one I did so the kickstart would return properly.

Rob, would you have by any chance a picture of that clearance that you mean? thanks!
GianfraCh

Postby Rob Miller » Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:24 pm

Sorry I don't have the ability to post pictures. If you take the large brass plug nearest you out you should be able to see the kickstart and clutch bevels. It is the clearance between these two parts you are setting. You can rock the kickstart bevel with your finger to feel it. The clearance required is only in the region of 1 to 2 thou. Too tight and you will get noisy bevels and wear caused and also wastage of some of the 5 horsepower the LD puts out!
Rob Miller

Postby GianfraCh » Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:08 pm

Rob Miller wrote:Sorry I don't have the ability to post pictures. If you take the large brass plug nearest you out you should be able to see the kickstart and clutch bevels. It is the clearance between these two parts you are setting. You can rock the kickstart bevel with your finger to feel it. The clearance required is only in the region of 1 to 2 thou. Too tight and you will get noisy bevels and wear caused and also wastage of some of the 5 horsepower the LD puts out!

I see! understood, Thank you Rob!! =))
GianfraCh

Return to Pre 57