LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

help !!with handlebar clamp

Technical help for all early models, A, B, C, LC, D, LD, E & F models

help !!with handlebar clamp

Postby GianfraCh » Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:45 pm

So I was changing bearings and lubricating them and when I mounted all back again I found myself with this clamp (see pictures!) not wanting to tight.. and I realised the thread inside is quite flat or there isn't any thread..Im lost here I don't know what to do and cant find this part on the internet =( I measured the diameter of the centre hole and is 30mm - 1/4 inches.

I have never used a rethreading tool and cant seem to find that size on internet... I really dont know what to do! if anyone recommends a tool I could use? or someone has a spare clamp that could sell?

Or if anyone knows where I could send the piece for rethreading? the other part seems fine as I put the two other pieces that go before that clamp and they are tight enough.

Thank you a lot in advance
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GianfraCh

Re: help !!with handlebar clamp

Postby Steve J » Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:35 pm

The thread inside the handlebar clamp always looks a bit 'flat', so don't worry - you won't need to rethread it! Sure, the alloy casting screws onto the thread on the fork stem, but it's the clamping force from the steering lock bolt which holds it tight. It always seemed a bit strange to me, but just tighten up the steering lock bolt and it will soon lock in place!
Steve J

Postby GianfraCh » Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:39 pm

Steve J wrote:The thread inside the handlebar clamp always looks a bit 'flat', so don't worry - you won't need to rethread it! Sure, the alloy casting screws onto the thread on the fork stem, but it's the clamping force from the steering lock bolt which holds it tight. It always seemed a bit strange to me, but just tighten up the steering lock bolt and it will soon lock in place!

Hi Steve,

Thank you! yes I have just realised that! silly me.... I forgot to put the lock to hold it in place.. hehe. Thank anyway!
GianfraCh

Postby Rob Miller » Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:53 pm

I am sure that the handlebar clamp wasn't threaded from the factory. The thread has been indented into the soft alloy casting when the clamp bolt has been tightened over the last 70 years or so.
Rob Miller

Postby Big Al » Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:50 pm

Mine just tapped on - no threading.
As Steve J said, the steering lock bolt holds it in place, in a pre-cut groove.
Big Al

Return to Pre 57