LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

1955 Model D150 - Handlebar sleeves loose

Technical help for all early models, A, B, C, LC, D, LD, E & F models

1955 Model D150 - Handlebar sleeves loose

Postby Big Al » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:48 pm

I have tightened up the gear and throttle handlebar clamp screws, but both outer control sleeves (with the rubber handgrips on) still pull out sideways, exposing the inner cables.
Both sets of circlips and shim washers were in place. So were the pairs of outer control sleeve pins, but I can't really see what their function is, as they don't appear to locate into a corresponding hole in the inner sleeve.
Are they really supposed to bear down on the inner sleeve by pressure from the rubber handgrip, and stop any sideways movement? If so, that is not working.
Any ideas please?
Big Al

Re: 1955 Model D150 - Handlebar sleeves loose

Postby Big Al » Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:21 pm

I have discovered that the clutch and front brake lever supports were not clamped in the right position before I dismantled the handlebars. They were both set too far towards the middle.
Moving both of them outwards, so that they are almost up against the shim washer and end circlip fitted at each end of the handlebars, and then tightening the clamps, stops the lateral movement.
The outer sleeves can then be fitted, with the sleeve pins now located through them into the holes in the middle sleeves, to hold the outers in place.
Then I can push on the new rubber handgrips, which in turn hold the sleeve pins in place.
It all makes sense now!
Big Al

Postby jbcollier » Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:47 am

Sorry for not getting back to you. Stupid busy over here. Glad you got it sorted. It really is a very complicated way of doing a very simple thing -- pretty much standard practice for a shaft-drive Lammy!
jbcollier

Postby Big Al » Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:28 pm

No problem John.
Yes, I agree it's unnecessarily complicated. Anyway, I will know how it works next time - if there is a next time.
I'm just glad I didn't lose any of those four precious little pins, which dropped out onto the garage floor as I pulled the sleeves along!!
Regards, Alan.
Big Al

Return to Pre 57