LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Mag house extractor tool LD mk3

Technical help for all early models, A, B, C, LC, D, LD, E & F models

Mag house extractor tool LD mk3

Postby GianfraCh » Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:44 pm

Hi !

Does anyone has a spare mag housing extractor tool?? I cannot find it anywhere. is either out of stock or non existent, or anyone knows an alternative ?

Cheers!
GianfraCh

Re: Mag house extractor tool LD mk3

Postby jbcollier » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:58 pm

I removed mine without it. Is yours stuck? It would be simple enough to make up but I would start with the basics of heating and cooling in cycles to break things free. Heat with a torch, oxy-acetelyne works best but propane works OK. Cool with a "canned air" spray turned upside down.
jbcollier

Postby GianfraCh » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:29 am

jbcollier wrote:I removed mine without it. Is yours stuck? It would be simple enough to make up but I would start with the basics of heating and cooling in cycles to break things free. Heat with a torch, oxy-acetelyne works best but propane works OK. Cool with a "canned air" spray turned upside down.

Hi JB

I have removed it before by heating with a heat gun and penetrating oil (this was two weeks ago when I changed the crankshaft) and now I am having to replace an oilseal I have damaged, and when I went to try get the mag house out again, I just can! I did put a new gasket too that doesn't seem to be stuck, I can rotate side to side the mag housing but I just cannot pull it. I have tried heating it as well but I don't want to damage the new mag house oilseal. Not sure if I should use a torch as I got oil and possible some fuel around the crank. I have the engine on the bike. I am using the same procedure as I did 2 weeks ago but nothing yet.. So hard to find the tool though!
GianfraCh

Postby GianfraCh » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:55 am

jbcollier wrote:I removed mine without it. Is yours stuck? It would be simple enough to make up but I would start with the basics of heating and cooling in cycles to break things free. Heat with a torch, oxy-acetelyne works best but propane works OK. Cool with a "canned air" spray turned upside down.

A question: Do you remove the circlip retaining the seal? Would that help at all? I didnt last time I dont think, but just wondering!
GianfraCh

Postby jbcollier » Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:53 pm

No, the seal is in the housing, not sick to the crank.
jbcollier

Return to Pre 57