LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Crankshaft

Technical help for all early models, A, B, C, LC, D, LD, E & F models

Crankshaft

Postby oggie » Fri May 28, 2021 5:05 pm

Hi has anyone on here ever managed to remove the bolt holding the crankshaft together on a model d or e if so what size is it and is it a left hand thread.
oggie

Re: Crankshaft

Postby jbcollier » Sun May 30, 2021 4:51 pm

No mention of it being anything but standard thread in the manual. You can buy "square" sockets. As to size, just measure across the flats.
jbcollier

Postby ladsdad » Sun May 30, 2021 9:53 pm

Hi
If you own a 1/4 drive socket set you can use it to undo the square head bolt.
Using them extension bar, put the "female" end onto the square bolt, then use a 8mm socket on your ratchet which is a good fit on the "male" end of the extension to undo.
From memory, yes it is a right hand thread.
Also when you put the crank back together you'll need to make a tool to centralise the two crank halves, if you've nothing else to hand a piece of ground down broom handle will do the trick.
ladsdad

Postby oggie » Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:38 am

Thanks for help i did try the extension bar but felt a bit lose and the bolt looks like it's been on there since the scooter was built sixty odd years ago so it well on there, i have ordered a 8 point 6mm koken socket (advice from another forum) which I am waiting to arrive so fingers crossed all will be ok.
Thanks again.
oggie

Return to Pre 57