LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

D150 with varitronic - lights problem

Technical help for all early models, A, B, C, LC, D, LD, E & F models

D150 with varitronic - lights problem

Postby bjhart » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:22 pm

Hi, looking for some help before I pull my remaining hair out!

I’ve just fitted a varitronic (no battery)during the rebuild and this is the current status:
1. Switch cleaned and appears to operate correctly without the engine running and no connections to bulb holders etc.
2. All wires from the switch have continuity and switch as they should as the various positions are selected.
3. In position 0 the horn and brake light works
4. In position 1 the horn, brake light and side light (yellow) works (no rear light)
5. In position 2 and 3 nothing?

I have a multimeter and ambition that is the extent of my electrical ability, any help or suggestions much appreciated.
bjhart

Re: D150 with varitronic - lights problem

Postby jbcollier » Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:50 pm

First, here are the relevant wiring diagrams:

jbcollier

Postby jbcollier » Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:57 pm

Multimeters are fine but they can "smell" voltage through the wires all but frayed in two and switches choked with corrosion. Go out and get a 12v test light with an incandescent bulb. The test light applies a small load which gives a better idea of what's the quality of the power being tested. Here's an example of a 12v test light:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Electric-6-12-24V-Voltage-Circuit-Detector/dp/B07T6466MS/ref=sr_1_59_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=12v+test+light&qid=1627574073&sr=8-59-spons&psc=1&smid=A1LX0L17OWB94A&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzQjhNSTRLMUNVQ1dRJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMzA2MzMxMVJKOFUxT1RQWjYzTyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMTIyMDQ5M0tCT01EM005N1BUVCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2J0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=
jbcollier

Postby jbcollier » Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:03 pm

Back to your problem. It sounds to me that the varitronic is working fine as you are getting power and some of your lights are working. So the problem is at the switch, junction block, or lights themselves. I would start by using a jumper to make sure the headlight and taillight bulbs and wiring are working. You can jump power off the yellow/white wire at the regulator or simply use a 12v battery (ground to chassis). Power the wires in the junction box that go to the headlight and tail light to see if they are working. If not fix that first. Then take off the switch cover and check the flow through the switch to make sure it's ok.
jbcollier

Postby bjhart » Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:54 pm

Thank you for the replies, I felt it was the switch all along, and after disconnecting everything checked the thin copper contact was making in all positions, and found it wasn’t in position 1 but ok in position 2&3. I bent the contact very slightly until it made in position 1 and presto everything works as it should…. I’d really like to understand why but at least it’s working now
bjhart

Return to Pre 57