LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

LDavv Ignition switch rebuild

Technical help for all early models, A, B, C, LC, D, LD, E & F models

LDavv Ignition switch rebuild

Postby siobhanellis » Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:51 am

I replaced my LDavv ignition switch (Yes, my eyes watered at the price)

I now have one not working. These are so rare, and expensive, it must be worth getting it rebuilt. Anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks
siobhanellis

Re: LDavv Ignition switch rebuild

Postby jbcollier » Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:28 pm

I have taken many switches apart and repaired them. I haven't done this to an LDavv switch. It all depends on how it's made and how well the materials have held up, plastic is notorious for getting crumbly with age. Once you're in, you can build up wear points with braze or solder and re-lube, etc.
jbcollier

Postby siobhanellis » Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:20 am

It's a sealed unit, and it is a post that has come off, thus why I was looking to see if anyone had used a professional switch restorer. They must be out there for classic cars/bikes.
siobhanellis

Postby jbcollier » Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:14 pm

Well, I was a mechanic for 35 years, fixed switches, and was paid for it. That's not all I did, mind. My latest project involved restoring a prototype French bicycle with an aluminium frame bolted together using special machined lugs. One lug broke. I took the broken lug and had it 3D scanned and had a new one machined up from solid using a 5-axis milling machine. We first prototyped it with a printed plastic part. By the time the smoke cleared, I had chewed though $1200CAD in machining costs. Turned out very well though.

So, what the hell am I on about? If it is a common switch and there is an established rebuilder with lots of parts, should be a fairly painless and reasonably priced job. However, there were few LDavv scoots made, so I expect OEM parts are pure unobtainium. Also, it is most likely the new switches available are not identical internally to the original switch. So, no parts. That means custom machining, etc and it isn't going to be cheap. All well and good if you are crazy about rare French bicycles, or are driving a Ferrari, but not so much for your situation.
jbcollier

Postby siobhanellis » Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:46 am

No new switches. Yes, Switch is made of unobtanium.

Apparently mostly the switch is similar to a GS switch.

Thanks, for your reply though.
siobhanellis

Postby steeleyscoot » Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:06 pm

You could use a Lambro ignition switch. I've done exactly that on my Mk3 AVV and it looks spot on.
steeleyscoot

Return to Pre 57