LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

LD 150 mark 3 rear hub threaded rod

Technical help for all early models, A, B, C, LC, D, LD, E & F models

LD 150 mark 3 rear hub threaded rod

Postby Fairburn » Tue May 10, 2016 4:58 pm

I sent a rear hub away for painting and the painter unwound the three threaded rods that the wheel rim attaches to. When I screw them into the hub they carry on threading through. Is this going to give a problem when the wheel nuts are wound on possibly onto a reduced thread. Do they need Locktite or do you just keep an eye on how far the rods go into the hub. I wondered if the bolts should be replaced with ones with a smooth central strip to prevent above. Comments welcome.
Fairburn

Re: LD 150 mark 3 rear hub threaded rod

Postby jbcollier » Wed May 11, 2016 2:20 pm

Thread them back in and use high strength or stud and bearing loctite to secure. First make sure that they are in the right depth by trial fitting the wheel.
jbcollier

Postby Fairburn » Thu May 12, 2016 7:22 pm

Thank you.
Fairburn

Postby steve c » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:00 pm

peen them with a punch, high tensile m8 socket screws and a good dose of loctite engineering adhesive that would require heat to remove. Need to check if you can get them in on a back hub, I have to do mine, will work on front hubs.
steve c

Postby steve c » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:02 pm

use high tensile threaded bar or bolts
steve c

Postby Steve J » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:28 pm

steve c wrote:use high tensile threaded bar or bolts

A good idea, although I don't believe the original studs were high tensile steel - my experience is that they are fairly soft.
The original studs were inserted from the front, and the rear was peened over to lock them in position. The studs had a short parallel section between the two M8 threads on each end - this parallel section was 8mm diameter, meaning that it can't pass through the M8 thread in the hub. If the stud can be screwed all the way through the hub, it's not original, and probably just a piece of threaded rod.
Steve J

Return to Pre 57