LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Engine compression

Technical help for all early models, A, B, C, LC, D, LD, E & F models

Engine compression

Postby Adamw » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:49 am

Hi,

I have a french mk3 1957 ld my and i am trying to start it after years of being sat.
I think there maybe a ring gone as the kick is so low down when starting does anybody know what compression i should get when testing.

Regards

Adam
Adamw

Re: Engine compression

Postby jbcollier » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:20 pm

I've never tested the compression of a D engine. I would guess it would be lower than what a series 3 engine would produce due to its lower compression. So perhaps 100 psi? I usually test compression by "feel". If there is good resistance when kicking over, it's good. If you can kick it over easily with one hand, not so good.

All that said, your comment that the "kick is so low down when starting" makes me think you should disassemble, clean, check and re-lube the kickstart mech.
jbcollier

Postby Knowledge » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:01 am

Hi Adam,

I am no pre-57 expert, but the position of the kick start engagement is unlikely to reflect whether the rings are broken or worn.

To be honest, an old machine that has been left standing is likely to have worn rings, and this might be the reason why the machine was left alone for so long.

Have you tried bump-starting the machine, thus by-passing any issues with the kickstarter? A couple of pints of fresh petrol in an empty tank would also benefit the process. And check that there is a good flow of fuel into the carb, as crud may have accumulated in the tank.
Knowledge

Postby Adamw » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:56 am

Hi

I am getting about 50 psi on the compression gauge, As for the kick start it felt harder to kick down a few weeks back and I tried to start it again last night resulting in a back fire.

Regards

Adam
Adamw

Postby jbcollier » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:20 pm

If you are getting a full stroke on the kickstart and the engine is spinning nicely, then 50 psi is low, very low.
jbcollier

Postby Adamw » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:03 pm

Hi so regarding my engine compression the kick start is in line with the legshield floor pan before it gets any comptession. Do you think this would be the rings then?

Regards

Adam
Adamw

Postby Fast n Furious » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:45 pm

Sounds like you need to strip it and check all measurements and tolerances.
Fast n Furious

Postby steve c » Sat May 06, 2017 6:22 pm

rings might be gummed up with dead fuel, bit like treacle toffee hence zero compression,

I always strip old engines I never try to start them or try turning them, oilseals can be as hard as rock and cut the crank, crumbly and split, rusty springs dropping straight into the bigend or wrecking the bore and piston. Bores rusty and full dust and dead spiders
steve c

Return to Pre 57