LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Model c engine cutout

Technical help for all early models, A, B, C, LC, D, LD, E & F models

Model c engine cutout

Postby johncas » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:30 am

Was riding my model c when 1 mile into journey engine cut out could not start it again cutout at junction is it I have flooded the engine I had throttle full open and was struggling to get up speed it was a cold day is it the cold dose anyone not recommended winter riding followed correct starting proceadure going to check spark plug later
johncas

Re: Model c engine cutout

Postby ladsdad » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:38 pm

Hi
I had this same problem on my "C". If you are running the standard ignition system, there's a good chance that it has overheated. Take the flywheel cover off & allow to cool down & try again. The coil set up on the filso/ magneti spaghetti ignition's have the low & high tension coils mounted together on the stator & are particularly poor & prone to this fault especially as the standard flywheel cover has no vents.....
Obviously it may be any number of other things that's caused you to grind to a halt but it only takes seconds to pull the cover off.

Hope this helps Mark.
ladsdad

Postby johncas » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:16 pm

Will have a look when the engine was rebuilt they put in a electronic kit but strange to cut out just like that might look to upgrade the ignition coil if you can but I think the engine flooded
johncas

Postby ladsdad » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:16 pm

If it's a non standard ignition, might still be worth trying but it's proberbly something else though it still sounds ignition based to me... Try removing the wire attached to the cut out switch,to see if it starts. If you have a multimeter, do a resistance check to see if the wire has gone to earth(ground) this would read 0.01 ohms or similar, if so with switch disconnected, this would be your problem. Next I would take the flywheel off & check for trapped wires or anything rubbed by the flywheel.
What make/brand is your electronic ignition btw?

Mark.
ladsdad

Postby johncas » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:42 pm

Will have a look when I get back later
johncas

Postby johncas » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:19 pm

Was just a flodded engine works fine except for a load of black stuff on the floor but the engine is clear now
johncas

Return to Pre 57