LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Clutch advice 1st. series Model B

Technical help for all early models, A, B, C, LC, D, LD, E & F models

Clutch advice 1st. series Model B

Postby TS1-200 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:34 pm

The clutch is not disengaging on my model B it has been standing a long while so suspect stuck clutch plates, I am not familiar with shafties, so don`t just want to take it apart before I know what to expect, so can anybody help with instructins on what to expect when I take the clutch cover off
TS1-200

Re: Clutch advice 1st. series Model B

Postby ladsdad » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:41 pm

Hi

If no-one else posts anything relavent/ helpfull I'll go down to shed & have a look & refresh my memory.From memory I think the "Biggie's" to look out for are the loose ball bearings in the clutch actuating assembly & the thread on the nut holding the clutch to the shaft.. I think it's left hand thread but I'm not sure... might be a couple of days tho.

Mark
ladsdad

Postby Rob Miller » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:35 pm

Disconnect the clutch cable
Remove the dome nut on the cover and undo and remove the nuts from the pull rod and the tubular spacer from behind the nuts.
Remove the clutch cover to expose the clutch assembly. the pull rod will stay in place.
You can then possibly free the plates through the slots using a wide bladed screwdrive but it will be much better to remove the plates for inspection.
You will need a clutch compressor to do this. It is just a horseshoe shaped tool made of flat bar with a hole to fit over the pull rod so you can use one of the 5mm nuts to compress the clutch, remove the large circlip and the plates will come out as a group.
It is when you remove the tool that you should be carefull not to loose the ball bearings from the other end of the pull rod.
Phew!
Rob Miller

Postby ladsdad » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:02 pm

Phew.. ;)
ladsdad

Postby TS1-200 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:01 am

Can`t seem to work out how to disconnect the clutch cable, the cable just goes into the clutch cover, how many ball bearings are there
TS1-200

Postby TS1-200 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:38 pm

Sorted, it was stuck plates although one wasn`t bad but the other one was stuck. thanks for your help
TS1-200

Return to Pre 57