LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Rear bevel gear oil level Model D

Technical help for all early models, A, B, C, LC, D, LD, E & F models

Rear bevel gear oil level Model D

Postby mm man » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:03 pm

How much SAE 140 gear oil is added to the rear trans / bevel gear . Or is it filled to a level ???
I have seen that I need to put half a litre ( not .7 as the manual states ) of st90 / sae 30 to the front trans / clutch .
All help appreciated
Thanks
mm man

Re: Rear bevel gear oil level Model D

Postby Steve J » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:12 am

OK - the later D/LD models had a filler/level plug on the small rectangular plate on the very end on the transmission casing, the early ones didn't. They have to be filled through the hole in the side where the speedo drive fits - use SAE140 grade gear oil, and the correct amount is 1/4 pint.

The gearbox uses SAE30 oil (or any 20/50 multigrade car engine oil), and the amount was increased on later D/LD models by moving the level plug to the side of the clutch housing, rather than underneath. The original amount was 1/2 pint, but the capacity was increased to 1.25 pints when the level plug position was moved. I'd be inclined to put in around a pint if yours is the early type to be on the safe side - half a pint doesn't allow for much leakage...... :roll:
Steve J

Postby jbcollier » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:50 pm

Bit of a bother to remove the speedo-drive. I use a syringe with a short piece of hose to add oil to the rear axle.
jbcollier

Postby mm man » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:58 pm

Cheers guys lucky me I have the rear filler plug so I just fill to that level then ?
Thanks again
mm man

Postby Steve J » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:20 am

Yes - that's it!
It's only the early models that don't have the filler/level plug on the rear of the transmission case, and there's no vent plug on the early models, either. Syringe or not, the only way on those to get oil in is by removing the speedo drive box - or by turning the scooter upside down and pouring it in through the brass inspection plug on the underside of the pinion..... :lol:
Steve J

Return to Pre 57