LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

12v DC horn for AAV wanted

Technical help for all early models, A, B, C, LC, D, LD, E & F models

12v DC horn for AAV wanted

Postby AAVlover » Thu May 25, 2017 11:04 pm

image.jpeg
The existing one, pictured, is all corroded and the newer one, for a different lammie, suplied by casa is 3mm bigger in diameter and it won't fit in the handlebar housing. Does anyone have one, or know anyone who could recondition the old one. I dont want to grind away the old housing just to fit a non oem part

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AAVlover

Re: 12v DC horn for AAV wanted

Postby jbcollier » Fri May 26, 2017 5:18 pm

Buy a new AC horn and swap covers. Again, SIP has the rivets.
jbcollier

Postby AAVlover » Fri May 26, 2017 5:40 pm

Hi jb, will the ac horn work with 12v dc?????
AAVlover

Postby AAVlover » Fri May 26, 2017 5:46 pm

btw - I think I have figured out why the old corroded horn doesn't work. Having cleaned it all up, and reattached all the wires etc etc, it still didn't work, however there was resistance between the terminals and I've adjusted all the adjustment screws etc and it still didn't work.

My theory is that the diaphragm disc, which is attracted to the electromagnets must have been chromed or plated somehow to make it magnetic, and, with the cleaning, as it was all corroded, I have removed this plating so it is now an unmagnetic alloy, like aluminium. Whilst I'm exploring other options, I've decided to have it chromed with some other bits, to see if that is the cause - would this make sense?????
AAVlover

Postby jbcollier » Sat May 27, 2017 1:58 pm

No, an AC horn won't work with DC power. DC horns have a set of electrical contacts inside. Take apart the horn and clean them. You'll have to drill out the rivets. New rivets are available from SIP.

You can't chrome a horn assembly. You have to take it apart.
jbcollier

Return to Pre 57