LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Restored AVV but has one last ignition problem?

Technical help for all early models, A, B, C, LC, D, LD, E & F models

Restored AVV but has one last ignition problem?

Postby AAVlover » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:31 pm

Hi Guys, enclosed a few pictures.

The scooter starts first time from cold every time. Warms up and runs happily around the garden for five minutes. Then I turn it off and on trying to restart, it will misfire loudly and if it starts it will run erratically, at any throttle setting and eventually stop. If I then connect another battery I have the same effect. This all happened a week ago and since then I have thoroughly cleaned the carb, again, I have renewed the spark plug, I have changed the points, checking gap on points and plug. In the flywheel, it has an auto advance mechanism and I have checked that this works by looking at the flywheel with the engine running and it seems to advance and retard, i.e. once running the weights seem to fly out as expected.

I put it all together and tested it the garage - perfect, and then on the road it was fine for ten minutes. I then stopped to adjust the gear linkages and got the same problem again!

My next checks would be the coil, which does not get hot, and which I checked for resistance months ago and it was fine, and the condenser. Before I replace those bits, does anyone have any ideas on this?

BTW the AVV is a 12volt battery ignition system.

DSC_4698.JPG
DSC_4699.JPG
DSC_4232.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AAVlover

Re: Restored AVV but has one last ignition problem?

Postby jbcollier » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:52 pm

First try another condenser. Sounds as though it is failing when warm, not unusual.
jbcollier

Re: Restored AVV but has one last ignition problem?

Postby AAVlover » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:19 pm

Thanks jb, after getting all the parts I did a final check on the wiring and found I'd wired the coil the wrong way around! Corrected that and everything is perfect.
AAVlover

Return to Pre 57