LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

torsion bar adjustment

Technical help for all early models, A, B, C, LC, D, LD, E & F models

torsion bar adjustment

Postby eyeguy » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:14 pm

So I am fitting the torsion bar to my LD 58. How do I know I have the splines in the correct position for it to fit properly? I do have the tool to couple everything. I just need to know what the correct position is for the tension it needs. hope this makes sense.

eyeguy
eyeguy

Re: torsion bar adjustment

Postby Steve J » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:33 pm

The figure I've seen for the recommended amount of preload was 5/16" (8mm), and up to about 12mm if heavy loads are consistently carried. The suspension is fairly soft with only 8mm of preload - I'd be inclined to increase it slightly, up to about 10mm or so.
Steve J

Postby eyeguy » Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:44 am

Thanks for the post. Good information. This will help.
Eyeguy
eyeguy

Postby eyeguy » Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:46 am

So Steve. How do you measure the amount of preload?
Eyeguy
eyeguy

Postby Steve J » Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:53 pm

It's just the distance the torsion arm needs to be pulled forward to allow the pivot pin to be inserted through the lugs on the engine case and the hole in the torsion bar link. Just fit the bush or needle cage bearing into the torsion bar link, and with the rear buffer in the engine resting against the pad on the frame upright, position the link between the two lugs on the frame. Look through the bore of the outer engine lug (LH side of engine), and you will see the link and bush/needle cage bearing partly obscuring the view through the lug. The preload obtained when the pivot pin is fitted will be equivalent to the distance between the inner edge of the hole through the lug (at its forward edge) and the inner bore of the bush/needle cage bearing, again at its forward edge. The easiest way to measure this is with a short steel rule laid flat across the face of the engine lug, and then estimate/read off the distance from the forward edge of the bore through the lug to the forward edge of the bush/needle cage. OK, it's not exact, but you will be able to get a reading to better than 1mm accuracy, which is all that's really needed here.
Steve J

Return to Pre 57