LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

TV175 S3 Heavy Clutch and Gear Shift

Technical help for all Lambretta Lambro & Lambretta mopeds

TV175 S3 Heavy Clutch and Gear Shift

Postby Agent Orange » Sun May 24, 2020 10:39 pm

I've just bought two TV175 S3's, (a 1962 & 1965) and the '62 drives and changes gear like a babe! The other one ('65) has a clutch action which needs Popeye to pull it in and Bluto to twist the gear change. I haven't had a look yet but am assuming that there is a cable routing issue? The throttle isn't what you would describe a feather touch either. The machine has been fully restored but not ridden by the previous keeper. I really doubt that it could have been, even if he had wished to. Any suggestions (keep it clean!) would be appreciated. I've only recently returned to Scooters, having had an LD in 1966; it was old even then! Mixed feelings then, from each end of the usability spectrum.......
Agent Orange

Re: TV175 S3 Heavy Clutch and Gear Shift

Postby Fast n Furious » Mon May 25, 2020 2:11 am

Nylon lined low friction cables are a godsend for good clutch and gear change action.
There are some really crappy cables to be had out there. So, check to see what you've got in there first and swap them out if necessary. Very often these cheap cables can look good on the outside but the inner cables were never greased and are riddled with rust.
Check that the clutch lever and fulcrum pin are not worn. Any slop here makes for poor clutch action. Replace them if they are worn.
Check that the clutch arm lever (The bit that the clutch cable trunnion connects with) has been installed correctly to give the proper leverage. It should be around 90 degrees to the centre-line of the scoot.
Then, if necessary check that the clutch nipple and clutch toe actuator quadrant are not worn. Worn out components here will result in poor clutch action.
Unlikely but.....it may have been fitted with stupidy strong clutch springs.
There are more bad restorations than good ones out there!
Good luck.
Fast n Furious

Postby dickie » Mon May 25, 2020 8:04 am

I had a real puzzle recently when I replaced a clutch for someone in an engine he brought loose to me. When he put it back in the bike it was near impossible to change gear. Obviously something I'd done wrong. So he brought it back, I stripped and checked it. Seemed perfect. Tried again, just the same. Between the two of us, we farted on for a week or two.

Then the post on the gearchange swivel snapped off!

He's such a meticulous cleaner that there was no lubrication on it whatsoever and it had partially seized.

I felt a bit silly :lol: :oops:

What I'm saying is try the easy things first before removing the motor and stripping it down......twice.
dickie

Postby Agent Orange » Sun May 31, 2020 9:37 pm

Thanks for the advice chaps! I unhooked the clutch cable from the clutch end and discovered that it wasn't very slick; actually, it was notchy without load on it. I had already ordered a set of Teflon lined cables, so will just strip out the lot and start again! I'm also going to replace the headset levers and bushes etc for belt and braces. Glad I've got the other one to ride!!
Agent Orange

Return to Lambro & Mopeds