LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Brid, York help RSG Barrow

List and promote rallies or scooter events in the UK.

Brid, York help RSG Barrow

Postby Leotech » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:09 pm

Thanks to the chaps from Barrow who lent me a hub stud and 8mm nut and bolt after my rear wheel nearly came off on the York Bypass! I introduced myself but never caught your name. Sorry.

1 stud and nut was gone completely, 1 nut was missing and the other 2 were loose. I only put the new tyres on 300 miles ago and its the first time i've had a wheel come loose in nearly 20 years. Standard s2 hub original studs etc, not remade. I'd given it all a visual check over before I left Brid, Nylock nuts as well as decent washers. I had a bolt and some nuts to fashion a repair but the stud might have come in handy if i'd lost another.

I don't really know why I stopped at the garage for fuel as i'd have made Harrogate easily, maybe someone was looking down on me! I only noticed it clunking as I pushed it away from the pumps to let a car in!

Didn't feel a thing wrong with the handling at speeds approaching 70mph down the bypass! Cruised home 50 ish and its still together now, i'll do the autopsy after lunch.

I'll maybe post some photos later.

Feeling lucky though.... Thanks
Leotech

Re: Brid, York help RSG Barrow

Postby Nudger » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:36 am

Buy yourself a Lotto ticket - I would!
Nudger

Postby TonyB » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:54 pm

Hi Leo,

Glad we could help you and delighted that you got home safely.

By the way, I thought you said you were going to take it easy - it took ages for us to catch you up!

TonyB
TonyB

Postby Leotech » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:22 pm

Once I was rolling I decided to keep pushing through the traffic in Harrogate. Knocked a few wing mirrors off but I knew they'd not be able to get out and catch me in all that traffic.

You should see the studs I took out! about 3-4mm diameter. I'm blaming the cheap remade rims and the rattle can paint job, the paint flaked due to the rims flexing then the nuts came loose, they are like tin foil compared with the originals. My theory was after I repaired it the 3 remaining 4 mm diameter studs with tight nuts and the 8mm bolt were safer than 1 stud missing and 3 loose nuts than before I stopped and I was gong fast then without a care in the world ha ha!

Repaired the hub with some new studs and put an old original rim on.

I'll have a ride up to Barrow one night to a meeting.

Thanks for the help.
Leotech

Return to UK Rallies & Events