LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

ebensee

Promote Rallies from around the world.

ebensee

Postby motownman » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:43 am

Please can anyone help me, it's my first time out of the UK, I am going to ebensee, but I cannot find out sufficient info on how to get the motorrail to Austria.
So can you advise me.
Many thanks
Terry b.
motownman

Re: ebensee

Postby Mel K » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:13 pm

Just done a google search. Look at www.railsavers.com looks like there are phone numbers you can ring to get all the inf you need .
Mel K

Postby nickw » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:26 pm

As far as I am aware there is no motor rail to anywhere near Ebensee. Did you mean motor rail or just standard trains?
nickw

Postby Knowledge » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:08 pm

There are some services where you can put your scooter on the train.

The route from Holland to Koper in Slovenia looked a good bet for a while, as it would take you through the night and drop you off on the Adriatic coast, with a gentle ride North to Austria. It would be my choice, but for the fact that it only runs on Fridays, delivering you at Koper on Saturday morning. The return journey is also Friday, so you would need to be riding around Slovenia, N Italy or Croatia for a week before and after the rally. This would be too long away from most working people.

The next best service is from Dusseldorf to Vienna. This is a daily service in the summer, and the scooter travels for just 45Euros. A bench seat in the carriage costs about the same, but you can get a bed in a cabin from 99 Euros. Still a pretty good price when you factor in fuel, oil and a bed and breakfast. Check the Austrian railways site, (OTT). Dusseldorf is about 150 miles from the ferry, and Vienna is about the same distance from Ebensee. On this basis, you could use two trains and do just 600 miles on the continent. Having said that, you might still consider 600 miles (1000km) too far, but you are unlikely to get a better option.

Personally, I am going to ride all the way there, then ride onto Vienna where I will meet-up with my wife for a few days before catching the train home while Mrs Leech flies back to Stansted. This way, I will not have to recover my tracks until I close-in on Hook of Holland and back to Ipswich.

I hope this helps.
Knowledge

Postby xenia1 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:05 am

You wont get a Motorrail train anywhere at point of entry into Europe. The nearest is Dusseldorf which will take you direct into Austria via Munchen
If you do go this option go through the Chunnell which takes 30 mins, going from Hull to the Hook of Holland is a real chore of an 18hr crossing.
If youre not into riding the distance another way is van your scooter there, from Calais you can do it easily in 12 hours (i can do it in less) and use the van as your home for the duration, what you spend on hire you'll save on camping/hotels etc and no need for faffing around needing breaks/fuel stops.
If its your first time out of the UK, just ask if you have any doubts about anything as (if you want) i can help..

Andy.
xenia1

Return to International Rallies & Events