LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Bike transport

Promote Rallies from around the world.

Bike transport

Postby Jimmyjames » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:04 pm

:shock: Hi all I know I will get slated about this but has anyone used a transport company to deliver there bikes ?say to Italy ?
If so what are the general costs.
Cheers. :shock:
Jimmyjames

Re: Bike transport

Postby Mr G in NYC » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:03 pm

RIDE it there , you will have so many adventures and great memories ! 8-) G.
Mr G in NYC

Postby xenia1 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:24 pm

Jimmyjames wrote::shock: Hi all I know I will get slated about this but has anyone used a transport company to deliver there bikes ?say to Italy ?
If so what are the general costs.
Cheers. :shock:

Being an ex european logistics planner i can tell you it would cost an arm and a leg to engage a transport co. to take a single lambretta to Italy. The more you can take on one vehicle to split costs the better. Ie six on a LWB Sprinter and the cost would be reasonably cheap bearing in kind even the 160 or 190hp version will do more mpg than the average Lambretta .If you dont want/ cant ride it there hiring one and double manning it (two drivers) so no overnight stops would be the cheapest most efficient way of doing it so realistically cost of van hire for a week (LWB 6 seater Dual liner crewcab Sprinter), diesel and ferry/ chunnel cost and possibly Vignette (30 Euros) if going through Suisse. Taking with you a 12v/ 24v fridge and ram it with food and drink for the journey will also cut down costs dramatically.
Hope this helps..
xenia1

Postby ladsdad » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:00 pm

Hi
Like the man says, you're best & most memorable option would be to ride your Lambretta to Italy......BUT if that's not an option, I would say going on previous trips that you need to budget for around £1200 to get you there & back...You can obviously do it cheaper if you can fill a van with friends scooters but this is a total price that you split if you want. This would include hiring a van from a reputable firm, breakdown cover & associated hire costs, plus French motorway toll fee's ( about £100 each way), cheap hotels on both legs & your fuel & cheapest channel crossing (usually the tunnel).... It won't include Euro tickets or your spending/beer money or any hotel at the event (but you can camp for free)... If you do choose this travel option, I would DEFINITELY let people know how you are traveling & a contact number as someone may need a broken scooter or large parts bringing home so you could offset some of your costs doing a "back load" back home...

Hope this helps Mark.
ladsdad

Postby Jim Rose » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:57 am

Why take the scooter? If you don't want to ride Just get a flight.
Jim Rose

Postby Digger » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:15 am

Jim Rose wrote:Why take the scooter? If you don't want to ride Just get a flight.

That wouldn't work for me as I don't fly, and I'm sure it would be nice to ride it once he's there.

Not everyone feels compelled to ride these things hundreds of miles in one stint, it doesn't make you any less of a scooterist in my opinion.

I've done it, and I can see the attraction, but I'm not getting any younger.

If I want to ride any distance I'll use the Griso, no less enjoyable and far less hassle or discomfort for me or the wife, who's quite happy to sit behind me.
Digger

Postby Jimmyjames » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:19 am

Thanks all its not that i dont want to ride all the way ,its just the time scale .
Looked at specalist bike trans port company's and the cost looks to be about £450 return .
I dont think that's extortionate.
+ they will take bagage and helmet.
Jimmyjames

Postby Jim Rose » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:56 am

Digger wrote:
Jim Rose wrote:Why take the scooter? If you don't want to ride Just get a flight.

That wouldn't work for me as I don't fly, and I'm sure it would be nice to ride it once he's there.

Not everyone feels compelled to ride these things hundreds of miles in one stint, it doesn't make you any less of a scooterist in my opinion.

If I want to ride any distance I'll use the Griso, no less enjoyable and far less hassle or discomfort for me or the wife, who's quite happy to sit behind me.

Funny when I put up the post about the bike carrier you recommended I ride it
Jim Rose

Postby Digger » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:04 am

Jim Rose wrote:
Digger wrote:

Funny when I put up the post about the bike carrier you recommended I ride it

You need to check your specs Jim - I haven't made a comment about your "bike carrier".

Here's mine... ;)

Digger

Postby Jim Rose » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:33 am

You need to check your specs Jim - I haven't made a comment about your "bike carrier".

Funny enough I had to order some new glasses earlier this week!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry about that old age and all that
Jim Rose

Postby Digger » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:48 am

No probs Jim - I'll be interested to see how you get on with it.
Digger

Postby xenia1 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:31 am

Jimmyjames wrote:Thanks all its not that i dont want to ride all the way ,its just the time scale .

I dont ride but even if i had a road going Lambretta still couldnt do it and can relate to your mention of time scale.
I have a week to drive from Malaga to the UK leaving on the Sunday and back to Norwich monday, pick up Lambretta out on weds through the chunnel to Euro site (wherever that may be over the years) thurs lunchtime, leave the site early sunday morning and back to Norwich sun night....before driving back out to Spain monday.
Two months either side of June and would have longer but too busy at Junes Euro event..
xenia1

Postby EddieStone » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:55 am

There's no feeling like being overtaking by two blokes in a car trailing two immaculate scooters as you ride your trusty scooter, arse aching, faintly desperate for a wee and wondering what that rattle is as you watch the car disappear over the horizon.

At least use a van where there's some degree of anonymity, especially if you don't plaster it with two tone stickers.
EddieStone

Postby xenia1 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:46 pm

EddieStone wrote:There's no feeling like being overtaking by two blokes in a car trailing two immaculate scooters as you ride your trusty scooter, arse aching, faintly desperate for a wee and wondering what that rattle is as you watch the car disappear over the horizon.

At least use a van where there's some degree of anonymity, especially if you don't plaster it with two tone stickers.

I have the utmost respect for those that ride, especially the Euros where theres big mileage involved. I do the C.D.S / Calais slog regularly back and forth and even though doing it in air con comfort and not hanging about think about those doing many 00's and sometimes 000's of km on two wheels with limited speed. The ar5s ache i sometimes have just isnt going to be comparable.
Jim Rose's machine with the oak block seat...now thats masochism :mrgreen:
xenia1

Postby Mel K » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:04 pm

In an ideal world only those that ride there and back should go . It's not an ideal world tho and there's more that fly or drive than ride .
Mel K

Postby mainstand » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:33 pm

I'm driving through the channel tunnel to the Swiss border then riding the rest of the way. Purely because we want to spend a day/night riding in Monaco before going home & I haven't got enough days holiday allocation what with everything else I'm doing next year. Family 1st, scootering 2nd.
mainstand

Postby dickie » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:30 pm

Do what the fuck you want. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks of you.

Ride if you want. Drive a van if you want. Carry your scooter on your back if it floats your boat. Doesn't really matter what me or anyone else has to say about it, does it?
dickie

Postby xenia1 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:45 pm

dickie wrote:Do what the fuck you want. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks of you.

Ride if you want. Drive a van if you want. Carry your scooter on your back if it floats your boat. Doesn't really matter what me or anyone else has to say about it, does it?

^
This all day long...
Being there at an event is what matters, how you actually get there is pretty irrelevant, travelling is a faff anyway (probably borne out of the fact i do huge euro mileage every year and get bored of it) the quicker thats done and dusted out of the way the better imo..
As you say, each to their own..
xenia1

Return to International Rallies & Events