LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

euro 2018

Promote Rallies from around the world.

Re: euro 2018

Postby MickYork » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:26 pm

[quote="Jim Rose
when I asked him about Benidorm as the location he said it had never been seriously considered and the committee they let the idea run so as not to spoil the suprise.

The trouble with this and many other forums is they are a great place to spread unsubstantiated rumour. Remember last year when we all assumed that the Italian venue would be Monza![/quote]

The problem here is, so many of us had set our hearts on Benidorm, that Abejar is an anti -climax. We had a fantastic lads holiday to Benidorm in '84 and always said we'd fancy going back on the scooters, the Euro seemed ideal and ticked all the boxes. Plans were being laid and wives forewarned (they would fly over with extra 2T oil, clutch plates and other parts) apartments in Benidorm were being looked at, although we said we'd camp on site for 2 nights and "holiday" the rest......alas....all to no avail. Not knocking Abejar, I've drove through the region before and it's very nice, but we are now considering a ride to Denmark instead (not sure where that came from :? ).

Not ruling Abejar out but they need to start posting some details...........and is it plastic cutlery :mrgreen:
MickYork

Postby Donnie » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:47 pm

Watfordwhite wrote:
Donnie wrote:
Phil D wrote:Anyone got a ballpark figure for the ferry price return UK -Spain? In June?

Ive just been looking and looks about the £650 mark!

That's ridiculous :shock:

Is it 3 days all inclusive ?

all inclusive? I did a random summer booking as it wont go to next year, includes a cabin there an back.
Donnie

Postby xenia1 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:58 am

MickYork wrote:
The trouble with this and many other forums is they are a great place to spread unsubstantiated rumour. Remember last year when we all assumed that the Italian venue would be Monza!

[/quote]

They werent unsubstantiated 'rumours'. Benidorm was at the forefront of Spains Euro next year. I live here most of the year and have good contacts within club Espana, it was changed due to the reasons in any earlier post ie financial and accomodation. Benidorm, as is most of the south coast inc Malaga province where i am will be virtually fully booked from April through to October. World problems mean Spain is back up there in the top holiday destinations again and we dont even have one spare hire car until November!
North of Madrid isnt really on most tourists itinery and accomodation will be freely available//
xenia1

Postby Phil D » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:24 am

It's not easy to navigate the ferry's booking system maybe because it's not geared up to search prices so far ahead but it does seem to be around the £600 mark return but that's for two people sharing and return with a car.
So when you break it down like that it's not too bad?
The shorter distance Bilbao - Soria makes it even more appealing ( for me at least)
Last edited by Phil D on Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phil D

Postby Petec » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:59 am

I have never booked ferries on websites,over the years I have always spoken to a representative and got some fantastic deals. When they book our crew, it's always mad configurations like 1 lambretta with 4 riders and 3solo scooters :shock: they move the bookings around for the best and cheapest way
A little bit of charm and a good chat usually wins over the day
Petec

Postby Nudger » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:59 am

I wouldn't be too disappointed it's not Benidorm guys. Northern Spain has so much to offer; Los Picos de Europa (empty roads & stunning scenery), the best pintxos you'll ever eat in San Sebastian (you'll never make it to your restaurant reservation), a night out in Pamplona (a glass of wine & pintxos for €2 on Student Night) and I swear Penélope Cruz works in a bar in Burgos.
Nudger

Postby Jim Rose » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:53 am

They werent unsubstantiated 'rumours'.

I have no doubt Benidorm was considered; along with other places. The decision of Soria must have been made months ago so the could secure the booking of the site etc. The Spanish let the rumour of Benidorm run so they could plan the event properly without us all booking up hotels. I had hotels booked for every weekend in June in Monza based on the certainty that this years euro was there. In future I'm going to wait till the announcement is made.
For example Poland may be interesting but the fact you can't get Relay or take a hire vehicle and even the Polish lambretta riders avoid the main roads suggest that unless it's just over the border I'll miss it. Please no one give me possible locations!!!!!!!
Jim Rose

Postby xenia1 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:26 pm

Jim Rose wrote:They werent unsubstantiated 'rumours'.

I have no doubt Benidorm was considered; along with other places. The decision of Soria must have been made months ago so the could secure the booking of the site etc.
For example Poland may be interesting but the fact you can't get Relay or take a hire vehicle

Abejar was a late decision. The Availability of accomodation and cost was the main factors in the change from Benidorm. Spains my second home and have a love of the country, the Soria region as is most of Espana very nice but..another 400km south to Benidorm (or any part of the Costa Blanca/Brava/CDS ) would have assured (99% anyway) perfect weather and warm 30+ degree temps.

Ref hire vehicles, some companies wont allow it but taking a hire vehicle isnt an issue. Although obviously no ones going to ask to take one of my holiday rentals to Poland my hire ins policy allows the whole of the EU inc all EE countries. From the UK all thats needed is a completed VE103B form which is given to the hirer.
xenia1

Postby swissdean » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:25 pm

I'm not a camper so looked today for rooms
, next to nothing left on the usual hotel
Websites within a 20 km radius so ended
up booking Airbnb.... I Assume the turnout
expectation is 100s vs 000s... I think
Moving forward organizers should pick
Places with plenty of hotels around
Conscious most of us are north of 50
And camping is not for most of us a 1st
Choice
swissdean

Postby Toot » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:34 pm

Jim Rose wrote:For example Poland may be interesting but the fact you can't get Relay or take a hire vehicle and even the Polish lambretta riders avoid the main roads suggest that unless it's just over the border I'll miss it.

Hi Jim

Having been to Poland a few times now and driven across Poland from the German border to virtually the Russian border (although in a van, not on 2 wheels), I can't agree that the main, and side, roads are any worse, nor better than our roads in the UK. Poland has had a significant amount of EU money ploughed into the country in the last 10 -15 years and I'm really looking forward to supporting their club hold a Euro Lambretta in 2019.

The suggested location isn't just over the border (sorry) and is potentially upwards of 1,000 miles from the main North Sea ferry terminals, giving us all an opportunity to take our Lambretta's to the Brandenburg Gate, what remains of the Berlin Wall and Checkpoint Charlie on route?

I won't spoil it and indicate exactly where about's in Poland the Euro is suggested it could be, but again there could be a one in a lifetime opportunity to photo our Lambretta's with a backdrop that in internationally recognized by most educated people throughout the world.

Anyway, back on thread for Euro 2018, the suggested price for the Bay of Biscay ferry crossing isn't something that I recognize, at least we paid nowhere near that amount when sailing across to Spain in both 2010 and 2013 on the way to the Euro Lambretta's those years.

Catch up you with soon fella ;)
Toot

Postby Jim Rose » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:59 am

Hi Toot,

Thanks for the information; as you know the mileage doesn't scare me; it's the Polish drivers and potential problems with backup/relay. I need to keep an open mind on the event because it is a once in a lifetime opportunity. Thanks for not giving the location.

We are looking at the ferry at the moment and the costs of £650 pp don't seem to be far off. I'd prefer to ride down through France but after the chaos I caused in Italy my lead has been shortened somewhat.

On the issue of hotels, there are a lot of lodges on site which have yet to be released; I'd keep your options open on that one. At least a travel agent hasn't block booked the local hotels to sell on at inflated prices!
Jim Rose

Postby MickYork » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:58 am

Regarding the ferry cost, couldn't the LCGB approach the ferry operators for a discount for a group booking ? The YSA (remember them ?) got good discounts for the jaunts to Holland and the IOW ferry gets a scooter discount.

Sorry to ask and put more work on the LCGB but with ferry prices looking like a deal breaker for some, it might be worth looking at.

Still struggling to find suitable accommodation close to the venue (as yet unknown ?) :?
MickYork

Postby Phil D » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:48 pm

I spoke to Brittany Ferries recently they said it's too early to give exact prices but they did say group bookings of more than 10 would get discounted .

At the moment I'm trying to put something together as I really fancy the whole adventure after seeing the photos and talking to people at Europort (on our way back from the Dutch lions event) who were returning from this years Euro rally .
Phil D

Postby Watfordwhite » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:20 pm

Ive just been looking and looks about the £650 mark![/quote]

That's ridiculous :shock:

Is it 3 days all inclusive ?[/quote]

Donnie

The Portsmouth to SaInt Malo ferry is around £100, then only a 600 mile ride through south of France. Could take a while as would stop off in a few vine yards on the way :D. I'm up for it?
Watfordwhite

Postby Donnie » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:57 pm

Thats what im thinking about to be honest :-)
Donnie

Postby northernbloke » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:40 pm

If anyone wants any accommodation in Spain, I have a couple if spare tents.
northernbloke

Postby Watfordwhite » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:55 pm

Where can I store my straw donkey on the way home?
Watfordwhite

Postby Jim Rose » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:48 am

This is the second year in a row we have been mislead on the exact location of the Euro. Am I the only one pissed off by the so called "experts" who are close to the host club who post gossip as fact. We were convinced it was Monza last year, and we were convinced that it was around Benidorm this year; both times the information was wrong! I don't care whether it was a late change or someones cat had died; the information was wrong.

This misinformation has disappointed a lot of people; outline plans had been made (the wives were bringing more 2 stroke etc). This wrong "fact" has led to the chosen site being slagged off (both Adria and now Soria). The choice of the site is nothing to do with us, it's the decision of the host club; we can then decide whether we want to go or not or how long we stay. I went to Adria and didn't like it; the biggest mistake I made was hanging around there so long but that was my choice no one forced me.

Like a lot of others the Euro is just a destination to ride to and the ride is what I get my buzz from; when I look back at my trip to Italy I had a great time overall, great riding great people and good food (with one exception!)

In future I'm going to wait till someone from the LCGB posts the location or until the formal announcement at next years venue.
Jim Rose

Postby MickYork » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:49 am

I'm puzzled as to why the location is announced (Abejar/Soria) but with no information to go with it ? I've searched the net but can't find a flyer or similar listing the exact location or what accommodation is available.

Soria is about 15 miles away from Abejar, if your intending having a drink at the venue how do you get there and back ? loads of questions but very little information.......lots of rumours though :lol:
MickYork

Postby Phil D » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:11 pm

I was under the impression the Venue at Abejar was a camp site ?

I've seen a flyer on F/B no more information other than the date & destination.

Still early days I suppose, with regards to all the details.

Is it always hush hush nudge nudge wink wink ? :lol:

Suppose it adds to the excitement.
Phil D

PreviousNext

Return to International Rallies & Events