LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

New project - winter model

LAMBRETTA ONLY PLEASE
Show your Lambretta off to us all with pictures of your pride and joy.

Re: New project - winter model

Postby dickie » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:27 pm

Andy nixon did the seat. It's an exact copy of a period accessory, completely imaginary, aftermarket seat. It's on an original el tigre wide back seat frame

The pipe is a rusted chromed curly jl3 which is "temporary" until I get my proper Ron Moss ex-box. The bike has never been on the road yet and that's its fourth pipe! I've got a new curly but I can't get it to fit without some cut and shut work. Amazing for 2 allegedly identical pipes!

The hidden master cylinder is a real headache though, and I think I might have to abandon the idea in favour of a bar mounted one.
dickie

Postby dscscotty » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:50 am

Dickie! I notice you have a 30mm VHSH Flatslide, thought you were running a PHBH? Did I give you jetting details for this carb?
dscscotty

Postby dickie » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:17 am

dscscotty wrote:Dickie! I notice you have a 30mm VHSH Flatslide, thought you were running a PHBH? Did I give you jetting details for this carb?

I don't think so. I got them from Facebook. If I send the settings would you mind giving them a onceover please?
dickie

Postby dickie » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:58 pm

Slide 50
Needle k98 2nd notch from bottom, no washer
Atomiser dp264
Pilot 45
Main 145
Choke 60
dickie

Postby dscscotty » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:57 pm

pm sent
dscscotty

Postby Knowledge » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:17 pm

dscscotty wrote:pm sent

Hi Darren.

I would be interested in your pm reply to Dickie regarding his jetting options. I am trying to find time to refine the jetting on the 283, which is using a 30mm VHSH.

From memory I have a DQ262 atomiser (that sounds a bit small) and a choice of K22, 23 and 28 (three needles so close in their dimensions, they could have been replicated using the different circlip grooves on the K28 needle). The main jet is 145, and while the engine picks up OK, the jetting is wrong above half throttle and it won't rev-out

I just need a couple of hours to play with it, but looking after my aging parents is limiting my play-time. I know I need a wider range of needles and atomisers, but they can become a big investment if you start from the wrong place.

Thanks for listening to my ramblings, Martin
Knowledge

Postby dickie » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:58 pm

So it's just about finished now. Headlight not secured properly, horn is shit, needs dyno time and clutch is awful.

The v55/5 went away and I've just learnt that I'm lucky enough to get an inspection by SGS, whoever they are.

What should I expect of this inspection?
dickie

Postby ToBoldlyGo » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:07 am

They'll come and look at the numbers, take a few pictures, that's about it. Although, the one I got was a pain in the arse and insisted the paint be scraped away from the frame number. Then seemed to have trouble actually taking a picture. Mine came from Bristol and he gets as far and wide as Buckinghamshire. Probably not a bad job actually.
ToBoldlyGo

Postby dickie » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:20 pm

I might apply for that. Retirement is only 10 years away and mortgage is gone..... :D

Unfortunately it didn't come soon enough to go on what was probably my only rally of the year in Sunderland. :(

I was going to chance riding there as it's insured on the VIN, but I bottled it.
dickie

Postby dickie » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:52 pm

Been up and down the street on it and it four strokes pretty bad, but I've never been above 2nd gear or about 4000rpm. Wants to go though. I'm not going to mess about with jets until I've done a few miles on the open roads.

DVLA inspection tomorrow morning, so fingers crossed I'll be riding it down to mick Abbey by the end of the month for a proper set up. I've got an AF 48mm clubman to try which I might take down too but that'll mean hiring a van as I can't be arsed to ride 40 miles with a clubman on my back.
dickie

Re: not so New project - winter model

Postby dickie » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:12 pm

Finally got my Ron Moss Avanti ex-box nickel plated and fitted.

Not sure when I'll get a chance to try it out, but hopefully one night during next week. Took a lot of fitting, and I'm not too sure why; maybe the fact that I have a modified 150 casing rather than a genuine 200 case? Who knows, but it's on now and I've spent a lot of time making sure it fits nicely with no stress.

Image20181020_190115 by richardhenderson1968, on Flickr

Image20181020_190100 by richardhenderson1968, on Flickr

Image20181020_190154 by richardhenderson1968, on Flickr

Image20181020_190136 by richardhenderson1968, on Flickr

While I was at it, I whipped the cylinder head off and drilled and tapped it to relocate the thermocouple. It was only reading about 85 degrees when at full temperature. Ben at AF reckons that where I had it (on the lower offside stud) is a cool spot so I put it where he showed me they have them on the mammoth heads. It's much more secure now and I'll get to see how it performs when I'm on the road.

Image20181020_195143 by richardhenderson1968, on Flickr

Should be ready just in time for winter :lol:
dickie

Postby steve t » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:16 pm

Looking good dickie what do you think to that front brake
steve t

Postby dickie » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:42 pm

steve t wrote:Looking good dickie what do you think to that front brake

Hard to say really as it's only been up and down the street, but first impressions are that I really like it. However, it seems to be leaking from the caliper which will mean new seal and the dreaded bleeding which took an age due to the odd hose route ( up and over).
dickie

Postby HxPaul » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:41 pm

One of these will fit a battery in it and be better than fitting a capacitor https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lambretta-Se ... %7Ciid%3A1
HxPaul

Postby dickie » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:06 pm

HxPaul wrote:One of these will fit a battery in it and be better than fitting a capacitor https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lambretta-Se ... %7Ciid%3A1

Yes, but I can only see disadvantages in batteries: more expensive, heavier, more space, more maintenance. I'd have one if I had electric start. Otherwise I don't see the point. Voltage is rock steady at 14.9v (more lile 14.4v typical with battery) all the way through rev range and regardless of lights etc. The main disadvantage I see is inadvertent reverse polarity connection; a capacitor this big is like a wee bomb if you connect it wrong and its proximity to the fuel tank is less than confidence inspiring.
dickie

Postby corrado » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:19 am

dickie wrote:
I used mypol inner tubes as I heard they were perfect fit; they're not. Or at least they're not with these stainless split rims. Maybe the valve hole is in the wrong place? Anyway, I'll use a michelin B4 tube as they're 90°. This tube will be ok for the front on my S3.
Image2018-01-02_03-41-04 by richardhenderson1968

Bit of both .... the angle of the mypol valve is 55 degrees, perfect for the front but could do with more angle for rear fitment to clear the hub better, but the hole in the rim is in the wrong place, it should be much closer to the left stud so that it clears the fin on the hub. The Mypol valve is situated 6mm from the centre line of the innertube whereas the valve on the Michelin tube is bang in the centre, the hole in the rim is not in the centre (though I've never attempted to measure by how far) hence you'll always be pulling the valve seat on the Michelin. 6 of one and half a dozen of the other comes to mind.
corrado

Postby dickie » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:54 pm

Took it to chiselspeed to get it set up. Didn't go as planned. After the warm up run, it jumped out of gear easily. Also, when coasting on the drum with the engine off, the gearbox was very noisy. Martin suspected that there was a gear the wrong way round, but it wasn't that simple.

Worn gear shaft, worn gear shaft bush, worn layshaft, badly machined cursor (new), endplate cluster bearing loose, layshaft bearing worn (new), selector fork slightly too splayed, clutch springs knackered (my fault , bad installation).

So an hour's Dyno time turned into a rather hefty bill, but I'm not moaning, they really came up with the goods when I turned up with a badly prepared bike.

Anyway, here's the graph

Image2019-02-05_09-36-05 by richardhenderson1968, on Flickr

Not arm-wrenching power, but it was built as a "nice to ride" engine, which it looks like on the graph. We'll find out once the salt is gone.
dickie

Postby Scooterdude » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:28 am

I’ve rebuilt a few gearboxes and tend to use the MEC selector at around £75. Not worth taking the risk with the indian shite you get for £25, Scootopia or ina bearings and your good to go.

Not being critical but is that graph from after Chiselspeed fixed your gearbox? Something not right as it should make considerably more power than it shows there.
Scooterdude

Postby dickie » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:21 am

Scooterdude wrote:I’ve rebuilt a few gearboxes and tend to use the MEC selector at around £75. Not worth taking the risk with the indian shite you get for £25, Scootopia or ina bearings and your good to go.

Not being critical but is that graph from after Chiselspeed fixed your gearbox? Something not right as it should make considerably more power than it shows there.

Yes, a load of poo, but you live and learn.

The red line is after gearbox was sorted and carb set up. In honesty, I can't remember when the other one was recorded, but I think it was after gearbox was done, but no set up.

I thought it would make more power too, but Martin reckons it was about what he expected. Says his dyno reads low, but have you ever met anyone who says their dyno reads high? :lol:

By comparison, my tuned gt186 with bgm clubman and 60mm crank made about 17bhp albeit on mick Abbey's dyno. Capacity alone would mean I expect closer to 20bhp.
dickie

Postby Scooterdude » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:58 am

Yes a strange one as you’ve clearly had the cylinder tuned so would expect at least mid 20s.
Scooterdude

PreviousNext

Return to Show Your Ride