LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Giro d'Yorkshire pt.2

LAMBRETTA ONLY PLEASE
Show your Lambretta off to us all with pictures of your pride and joy.

Giro d'Yorkshire pt.2

Postby wellerchap » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:59 am

Finished off last night what we started a week or so ago. 45 minutes of crawling through the Leeds rush hour and 20 miles on one Britain's busiest stretches of Motorway did nothing for the enjoyment factor, but once past all that and far from the madding crowd I was back at the point where I'd come a cropper with the exhaust. This was pitch black the last time I "saw" it.
It didn't help I'd left all my maps at home in the morning!
I'm going err, that-a-way!

A few minutes in and I'm heading sharply down the valley side - the photos flatten everything here - this is one of the steepest lanes I've ever ridden down...the canal in the valley bottom leads into Standedge Tunnel, under the Pennines - built in 1811 and over 3 and a quarter miles long, it's still in use today.

I'd to stop the front wheel against the barrier here and lean the leggies against the wall...putting it on the stand meant it just rolled off forwards!
I doubt we'd have tackled this in the dark had we even found the top of the lane last week - had we done so, riding down here without the knowledge of it, would have been bloody dangerous.

This is the same spot, and shows the angle of the road better

High above Holmfirth, just past one of Yorkshire's few vinyards.

There were lots of banners/flags up everywhere welcoming the upcoming Tour de France, and loads of cyclists out, trying out the newly laid TDF tarmac...and farmers advertising parking in fields near the route for £20/£30 a time!
Only 10/12 miles from home at this point, but still another 70/80 miles to go to the end.

I'd to call on the memory banks now as I traversed south Sheffield - lots of built up stuff to negotiate, but I managed to hit most points right, without the maps - sadly though I was back in human being territory, and soon the 4-wheeled idiots were reminding me why I like open countryside better.
Near the M1 south east of Sheffield - Pebley Reservoir in the trees - the southernmost tip of Yorkshire by road - that's all the 4 compass points ticked off.

Just got to negotiate 35 miles of lanes now up to the start/finish at the Green Tree pub in Thorne, near Doncaster, then get back home before midnight.
Shame my 2 pals weren't there to feel the satisfaction of completing, despite it being in 2 chunks...hopefully though this is just a recce for a full assault on it in 24 hours soon.

wellerchap

Re: Giro d'Yorkshire pt.2

Postby waddo » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:27 am

Well done mate. Fantastic tour, thanks for posting your different adventure.
waddo

Postby Les McLean » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:33 am

Brilliant, pleased you completed :D
Les McLean

Postby Toddy » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:21 pm

Well done glad you completed it :D
Toddy

Postby Rich Oswald » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:26 pm

Congratulations on a job well done Dave.
Rich Oswald

Location: Wiseman From The East (East Of The Pennines That Is)

Postby Paulnobodyimportant » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:27 pm

Great story and interesting to follow. But I do feel that you have too much time on your hands to have actually planned and done this.

Have you thought about finding a hobby ;) ;)
Paulnobodyimportant

Postby wellerchap » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:16 pm

I have the world's finest hobby....riding the wold's finest motor scooter :lol:

To be fair, it's a valid point, but I really enjoy the logistical aspect too of planning the route/petrol stops etc.....and I love nothing more than being in beautiful, remote areas, with my Lambretta.
wellerchap

Postby peejay » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:18 am

well done mate
interesting little challenge :) 8-)
peejay

Postby dudley » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:32 am

Great trip and fantastic photo's - where to next then 8-) ?
dudley

Postby wellerchap » Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:31 pm

Next is possibly to do it all again, but in one go - and all inside 24 hours.
Then there's a trot up the north west tip of Scotland, before they put the customs posts up :D
3 peaks in 3 days by Lambretta - riding to em, walking up em, all inside 72 hours.
Watch this space. :?
wellerchap

Postby Adam_Winstone » Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:22 pm

Nice photos :)
Adam_Winstone

Return to Show Your Ride