LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

'64 pacemaker resto

LAMBRETTA ONLY PLEASE
Show your Lambretta off to us all with pictures of your pride and joy.

Re: '64 pacemaker resto

Postby Toddy » Mon May 04, 2015 11:05 am

Nobby wrote:Image

Nothing to see here! What scooter?!, I ant done nuffin and you can't prove it see

Love it :lol: :lol:
Toddy

Postby Scooterslag » Mon May 04, 2015 11:33 am

Nobby wrote:Ta!
Bit o wiring left (6v points)

That's Pretty much all I can do here- I'm missing a floorboard runner, badge holder and a gear cable... So hopefu take her to the workshop tomorrow and start her up!!!!

Panels are the the sign writers ...

Looking good, nice to see that you're keeping the points system
Scooterslag

Postby Chadley » Mon May 04, 2015 11:40 am

Nobby wrote:Image

Case in point ....... Remade brake light switch...... You only got to get one measure to right ffs!!!, what's the point in going to the hassle of putting something in to production if it's totally unusable !! :D :D :D :evil:

Perhaps it's the camera angle, but is the 'stop' on your brake pedal not lining up with the frame strut?

I found that a CamLam switch fitted nicely:
Chadley

Postby Nobby » Mon May 04, 2015 7:41 pm

Think it's just the camera angle chadley?, looks central from top and it's never had the outriggers messed with?... Uv ordered another anyway so well see!

Nobby

Postby Nobby » Mon May 04, 2015 7:46 pm

Couple more pics

Reverse pull... No dampers..... Progressive springs...

Orig cev headlight and bulb holder

Orig rear light to!... And Andy Nixon snett

Last edited by Nobby on Tue May 05, 2015 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nobby

Postby Nobby » Mon May 04, 2015 7:49 pm

Panels are back from the signwriters in a couple of weeks so will post some totally finished pics then.......
Nobby

Postby Nobby » Mon May 04, 2015 8:59 pm

Right , need some help!,
Bit of an anti climax coz the feckers not sparking !!

Iv set the points gap and points are opening and closing, the ign switch is disconnected, there is a little spark coming out of the green wire that comes directly out of the stata, but there's no spark at the spark plug.
Iv got 2 Ducati coils- 1 looks battered and the other has got 12v written on it!?, so I suspect the coil(s) and Iv ordered a brand new one.
But is there anything else I could check before the coil gets here? , can I check what powers coming out of the green wire? And if so what's it supposed to be?,
any other tips or things to check on a points system? ... Ohms readings? I Haven't working on one for 25 years!...,.
Nobby

Postby Chadley » Mon May 04, 2015 10:32 pm

I run my GP on the original points and coil. When I got it running a couple of years ago, I noted the following that may be of help:

Resistance (ohms) readings on the green ignition wire to frame/ground with the ignition switch on and coil fitted:
Points closed: 0.0 ohms.
Points open: 0.9 ohms.

You'll need a decent meter to accurately measure low readings and also need to have the ignition switch on otherwise you'll get 0.0 ohms irrespective of points position.

With the coil fitted, I got a peak of 180 volts on the green wire LT side. Unless you have access to an oscilloscope it's difficult to measure:

You can at least check the resistance measurements.

Have you got a decent ground/earth from the other terminal on the coil to frame/ground? This is normally the braided wire that connects the coil to the back of the regulator/frame and then to the mag housing.
Chadley

Postby Nobby » Tue May 05, 2015 8:17 am

Cheers chadley... Can't lay my hands on a oscilloscope! And only have a cheapy multimeter but will check the readings as you say cheers, I have got the braided earth connected to the engine/frame/coil but will double check I have cleared enough paint off of the frame ( although I doubt this is essential for ign system? If the engine is earthed straight to the coil ,
So if I should be getting 0.9 ohms out of the green coming straight off the stata... Should I expect to see this same reading on the green wire where it connects to the coil or would it be more because there's more resistance (longer wire?)?
Thanks
Nobby

Postby Chadley » Tue May 05, 2015 8:41 pm

Yes, I would expect you to see the same reading at the HT coil end of the green wire (assuming that the wire isn't actually connected at the HT coil). You may have slightly more resistance due to the extra cable length but it should within 0.1 ohm.

I just made some measurements again on my GP:

With the green wire from the stator disconnected from the regulator/rectifier, and the points open, I get a measurement of 1.0 ohms from the green wire to mag housing. This should be the stator coil resistance.

With the frame loom green wire (a pair crimped together) disconnected from the regulator/rectifier and with the ignition switch on (to stop it being shorted out), i get 4.9 ohms to earth. This should be the resistance of the LT side of the coil. I guess you could measure this directly across the two terminals on the coil.

I hope this helps.
Chadley

Postby johnnyXS » Tue May 05, 2015 11:44 pm

great job Nobby ...........my you have been busy ;)
You know Mrs Nobby is going to find out don't you :lol: :lol: it will either be a stray nut or screw that gets embedded in her foot or axle grease on her clothes.....

I had a problem getting mine to spark and I ordered 3x brand new condensors before I got one that actually worked ! You do expect new things to work but they don't always.

If you have a spark from the green coil wire from the stator have you checked that a spark is still there on the green wire at the coil also ?

have you another coil you can substitute ?
johnnyXS

Postby Nobby » Wed May 06, 2015 12:41 pm

Nar Iv covered my tracks well!, bleached the floorboards n everything! Sssssshh what happens on lcgb stays on lcgb! :D

Cheers for the advice charley and Johnny - I'm using the old condestor because I heard the new ones were dodgy!, think when the new cool comes I will check the ohms as you say chadley than if that's ok I'll take a wire straight from the green coming out of the stata and go straight to the coil and see if that works .. Then work my way backwards.....cheers...
Nobby

Postby johnnyXS » Wed May 06, 2015 1:01 pm

you can also check for a spark on the green wire that connects to the coil .
Just pull the green wire connector off the coil and put the green wire connector close to a good earth point on the frame and kick it over .

A simple way to check your condensor is to make sure your points are closed then connect a 9v PP3 battery in series with the condensor (+ to + and - to - ) and charge the condensor for a few seconds. Then remove the battery and flick open the points .
If the condensor is working you should see a healthy spark across the points gap ,as the condensor discharges to earth . No spark ....bad condensor
johnnyXS

Postby Nobby » Thu May 14, 2015 5:48 am

Side panels back from signwiters!! :D

:D

Put a new coil on and other plug and she's running to!

Just the lights to sort out and timing, plus the little end bits - flywheel cover/ floorboards/ gear adjustment and she's got an mot Wednesday :D
Nobby

Postby Toddy » Thu May 14, 2015 5:52 am

Nice job them Nobby :D Now get your grass cut :o :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Toddy

Postby Nobby » Thu May 14, 2015 6:04 am

Toddy wrote:Nice job them Nobby :D Now get your grass cut :o :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: I know!!..... To busy building scooters!!
Nobby

Postby Made In Sheppy » Thu May 14, 2015 6:26 am

Wow that looks great the sign writing really compliments it congratulations you must be well pleased
Made In Sheppy

Postby johnnyXS » Thu May 14, 2015 9:20 am

wow that sure looks pretty .....

Signwriting looks great .Its the only reason I regret not having panels fitted to mine . Its a great opportunity to add some unique identity and styling
johnnyXS

Postby Rich Oswald » Thu May 14, 2015 11:11 am

Old School, very nice!

Rich'
Rich Oswald

Location: Wiseman From The East (East Of The Pennines That Is)

Postby dickie » Thu May 14, 2015 12:38 pm

Nobby wrote:

Reverse pull... No dampers..... Progressive springs...

I'm about to convert my drum to reverse pull (it's effing terrifying the way it is). Where did you get that cable guide; it looks a lot more 'period' than the anodised ones I can find.
dickie

PreviousNext

Return to Show Your Ride