LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

My GP200 Rebuild

LAMBRETTA ONLY PLEASE
Show your Lambretta off to us all with pictures of your pride and joy.

My GP200 Rebuild

Postby Mag » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:02 pm

I did start talking about this before the old forum went awol, so I thought I could use the excuse to bore you all again.

I bought my Italian GP200 from Rob Miller about 1990. An original scooter barring the seat. Paintwork not too clever but a straight bike.

In the way of things back then I wanted a shiny Lambretta not what we'd now call a restoration, so it got a paintwork of Ferrari yellow. Over the years the engine went from standard to stage 4 (Tuned by Darren Scott and donated by Goldeneye), from 22mm carb to deemed 26mm to 30mm PHBH. All the time barring routine maintenance and occasional seizure due over enthusiasm or going onto reserve when flat out, it has been a reliable scoot.

I decided last year it deserved a makeover. It was looking a bit dented and scratched and unloved.

So it was stripped completely, the bodywork entrusted to Shaun Burns and I got on with the engine.

The Idea was to use as much of the original scooter as possible, but as I like to ride them it couldn't be completely standard. The Stage 4 barrel would stay, with an MB clubman and a 25mm PHBL meaning I could run through a modified air box to keep the standard look. I still have the factory barrel in a box in the loft, where it sits with the 6v points stator, flywheel and rectifier. I use an MB adjuster block for ease, but again the original in stored away.

All the bodywork is the same the scooter left the factory with, baring the horn cast which at the time was too far gone to save when I had the thing painted last time. So much is original to the bike, like the locks, lights, etc it is easier to say what isn't. The rear hud is an Li one I replaced the cracked original with about 15 years ago. the rubbers (barring the handlebar grips which are original!) are Casa replacements. I've had people tell me the front hub isn't the original one as it has a grease nipple, which could be true but it was on the bike when Rob got it and matched the paint and patina of the rest of the machine and I am only the 4th owner. It did have black plastic horn and frame grills but I prefer the painted metal ones. The seat is an original seat I've referbed.

I didn't choose to have the engine casing chemically stripped as I like the way the look normally, not too shiny.

What I wanted was a standard looking GP with a bit more useable power.

The engine casing was damaged so off to MB Developments to weld up.

Then with a conrod kit fitted to the (you guessed it) original crank, the original gearbox, etc were refitted, but with a 19 tooth front sprocket and stage 4 top end.

The brake pedal, headlight rim, kickstart and ignition switch bezel all went off to be rechromed, loads of nuts, levers and bits went to be zinced.

Shaun matched the colour from an unrestored panel in his collection, painted the bodywork, the forks, etc were powder coated for longevity.

Here is not long after I discovered you can't use a GP air elbow with a PHBL as you need the shorter Li/SX type, hence the blue replacement! Also the Casa legshild badge didn't look right or line up with the factory holes.

But it came together.

Mag

Re: My GP200 Rebuild

Postby Jazzy b » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:21 pm

Cracking scoot 8-)
Jazzy b

Postby Rich Oswald » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:46 pm

Great work and a wonderful end product,

Rich'
Rich Oswald

Location: Wiseman From The East (East Of The Pennines That Is)

Postby lammydave » Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:23 am

Cracking Job...well done!
lammydave

Postby Roy64 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:14 am

Well done mag it looks the part and I know it goes well after our ride back from Kelso
Roy64

Postby SimonC » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:49 am

Beautiful!
Simon
SimonC

Postby trev t » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:11 pm

very very nice. like the way you have used as much of the original scoot as you could.. what was the ral code for the silver powder coat,, it the tank ect white powder coat or paint...
trev t

Postby Mag » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:37 am

Hi Trev. The silver and white is powder coated but I don't know the codes. Shaun burns did these as well as the paintwork.
Mag

Return to Show Your Ride