LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

New Addition

LAMBRETTA ONLY PLEASE
Show your Lambretta off to us all with pictures of your pride and joy.

New Addition

Postby foremanbob » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:00 am

Just picked this old girl up at the weekend Eibar 1966 Li 150. Just surface patination, no rot at all. Put a little easy start in her and she ran....

She's too good to restore... Think i'm going to spend all the money on the engine and clear coat the bodywork...
foremanbob

Re: New Addition

Postby johnnyXS » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:35 am

nice one .! looks pretty much original too. Well apart from the interesting floor mat solution that is. :lol:
Remarkably well preserved paintwork ...its the aluminium thats degraded the worse.

Brave man to conserve it . I decided to do the same with my 64 LiS special and all I ever hear is...... 'nice scooter.... are you going to repaint it ?' :roll:
johnnyXS

Postby xenia1 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:07 pm

Nice original looking one and the perfect basis for a restoration 8-)
xenia1

Postby coaster » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:57 pm

xenia1 wrote:Nice original looking one and the perfect basis for a restoration 8-)

Have to agree personally, I don't understand what is worth 'preserving' :? To my mind, that isn't patina, patina should come from use not neglect and storage for years in a damp environment. Just my view though 8-)
coaster

Postby Kristof Lammy pie » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:02 pm

I couldn't disagree more, I think that's in outstanding condition for a 50 year old runabout scooter.

Don't clear coat it, soak it in acf50 at first and then spray it and rub it in every month or so. It will last for another 20 years at least.

Gorgeous bike.
Kristof Lammy pie

Postby Toddy » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:19 pm

foremanbob wrote:She's too good to restore... Think i'm going to spend all the money on the engine and clear coat the bodywork...

^ couldn't agree more ^ :D
Toddy

Postby a.lo » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:45 pm

coaster wrote:
xenia1 wrote:Nice original looking one and the perfect basis for a restoration 8-)

Have to agree personally, I don't understand what is worth 'preserving' :? To my mind, that isn't patina, patina should come from use not neglect and storage for years in a damp environment. Just my view though 8-)

with you coaster on that, i think that old paint that has been polished all its life cannot be replicated by shiney resprays. i like the way anything handled ends up being polished think of the boob on the statue under the romeo and juliet balcony or as i found the other day the stone in the York Minster tower steps :D
a.lo

Postby xenia1 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:20 pm

Unfortunatley this particular one just doesnt have enough paint left to 'preserve'. Theres very little paint on any of the alloy parts and what rust there is isnt just surface rust but well eaten into the panel work ferrous oxide and left to fester (no matter what its covered with) will eat its way through. 'Original only once' just doesnt wash as
if enough time and patience is put into it and correctly restored and painted in cellulose theres nothing from stopping this looking fresh out of the factory and imo this one is worth that time extra put into it..
xenia1

Postby Digger » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:07 am

Have to agree that there isn't much to preserve and that surely isn't factory paint.

This one was in much the same state and also started - it was white once.

Scrubbed up ok I think...

Digger

Postby foremanbob » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:07 am

Thanks for all of your feedback.

I am conflicted about what to do... Will get stuck into her and make my mind up over time.
foremanbob

Postby Digger » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:13 am

At the end of the day it's your bike - you can always get it mechanically sound before making a decision.
Digger

Postby coaster » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:29 am

foremanbob wrote:Thanks for all of your feedback.

I am conflicted about what to do... Will get stuck into her and make my mind up over time.

Very sensible, you have two views expressed here as well as Digger's point that it is your scoot to do what you want with 8-) For me, the 'Rustoration' thing seems to sub-divide into the desire to preserve a moment in time and that can be a battered scooter that has been in constant use or has been frozen in time by being dry stored. OR it can just be for the 'shock value' of riding around on something that is already and or deliberately encouraged to look tatty for the sake of it, sort of an inverted fashion statement :? That is sometimes taken to the point of deliberately allowing metal to rust just to get an effect as practices in the VW and Hot Rod scenes.

It's a broad church though and different ideas make for an interesting scene 8-)
coaster

Postby foremanbob » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:41 am

I like nice and tidy scoots....

This is my S2...

my conflict is wanting to have a contrast from my tidy scoots, to a scruffy scoot... but fast as....

All of my scoots I like to keep with original features... such as the modification that was made to this headset.
foremanbob

Postby Digger » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:54 pm

8-)
Digger

Postby johnnyXS » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:03 pm

thats a beautiful restoration foremanbob as witnessed by best in class win . I would love to have a scooter in that condition if I could afford to run 2 or 3 scoots.

The dilemma is you cannot keep that scoot looking imacculate for shows if you use it daily or on club runs and rallys it would be next to impossible.
If however you restore that Spanish jobbie mechanically and keep the rest as-is you can hack the scoot around anywhere with abandon without ever having to worry about it getting scratched or damaged .

I know what I'd do. ;) I'd rebuild the engine with a 186 and go through the mechanicals to make it safe and reliable and keep the bodywork as it is and have a cheapish runnabout hack bike and keep your immaculate S2 for those shows and special occasions. Otherwise you are going to end up with two scooters you can't ride anywhere and have to worry about getting them scratched or leaving them unattended :D
johnnyXS

Postby coaster » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:46 pm

You don't have to restore to show standard, nothing wrong with a quick and cheap job, even rattle cans, here's mine, paint and rust removed by mechanical means (not blasted) and all painted with spray cans:
Use it and abuse it and it'll soon gain its own patina and you'll stop worrying about scratches ;)

Not as bad as foremanbob's
coaster

Postby Digger » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:28 pm

Again 8-)
Digger

Postby johnnyXS » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:45 pm

nice paint job coaster. Would never have guessed it was a rattle can though .
How about a tutorial ;)
johnnyXS

Postby coaster » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:59 am

johnnyXS wrote:nice paint job coaster. Would never have guessed it was a rattle can though .
How about a tutorial ;)

Thanks, it looked great when first done but I was never 'precious' with it and the acrylic spray cans available in the shops do not give a very resilient finish (rather like the original factory paint) so it is now a bit scruffy and will be re-done for next years Euro. I'll use 2k spray cans off ebay most likely this time 8-)
coaster

Postby johnnyXS » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:06 pm

have you tried the Hycote Double acrylic concentrated cans yet ?...... or is it like the new 'concentrated spray deodrant' .................same stuff but half as much as before, for the same price :lol:

Ok I gotta ask what is that car in the background thats teasing my memory cells :roll:
johnnyXS

Next

Return to Show Your Ride