LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Irish Photorally

LAMBRETTA ONLY PLEASE
Show your Lambretta off to us all with pictures of your pride and joy.

Irish Photorally

Postby Marty ULC » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:45 pm

Made a start on this year's Irish Photorally at the weekend. 24 points scattered about the island for you to ride to at your leisure and take a picture of your bike (or scooter) and pillion if you're entering one. It's a great excuse for getting out and exploring the hidden corners of Ireland. Have until November to get as many as we can, will post the pictures up here as we go...
24 for gold
18 silver
12 bronze.
Last year's award ceremony was on Saturday and my 12 year old got "youngest participant"

.Ballinahowen Tree Sculptures

...Image
The Musician (J McEvoy)

...Image
Moylough Castle or Church
6km South of Oldcastle
Marty ULC

Re: Irish Photorally

Postby ladsdad » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:48 pm

Hi
That sounds like good fun, maybe we could do something like that over here on the big Island...
ladsdad

Postby Marty ULC » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:42 pm

ladsdad wrote:Hi
That sounds like good fun, maybe we could do something like that over here on the big Island...

http://www.irishphotorally.ie
Link to the website to give you a taste of what it's about
Marty ULC

Postby Bilko » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:32 am

Great photos Marty.
Bilko

Postby Marty ULC » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:02 pm

Thanks Bilko. One of the points is Nendrum castle, we'll have to take a spin out there one sunny evening.
Marty ULC

Postby Knowledge » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:43 pm

I believe that the VCB have a similar scheme, but much bigger. I believe it is used by the VCB in place of the LCGB the best supporting member scheme, in order to get riders out and about, but without the complication of having to attend specific rallies on specific days.

I think it is quite a neat solution, and it could also operate alongside the BSM if someone was brave enough to administer it. :shock:
Knowledge

Postby Phil D » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:04 pm

I like the Idea of something like this .
Not interested in all the competitive racing about BSM stuff.
Phil D

Postby Donnie » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:07 pm

Indeed, would be a nice thing over here, but think that it would be difficult if it was UK wide, could do an England, Wales, Scotland one with the option of crossing over the borders?
Donnie

Postby Knowledge » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:21 pm

I think the VCB may have had as many as 1000 points of interest in their scheme, which kind of made it impossible to visit them all and evening-up the chances for everyone across the country.

However, it sounds like a nightmare to administer.
Knowledge

Postby Donnie » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:27 pm

1000! Just been looking at the VCB page but can't see anything about it on there at all.
Donnie

Postby Phil D » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:30 pm

What about round the county you live in .
There was a LCGB member who attempted to ride round Yorkshire in a day I fancied doing something similar but maybe in two days :shock:
Phil D

Postby Marty ULC » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:36 pm

Not a bad idea Donnie.
Although I probably wouldn't be doing it myself I'll tell you how and why I think the Irish version works.

"Only" 24 points in total so you don't have to be a lunatic to complete it and with the silver and bronze awards you can take part without needing too many weekends away.

The points are scattered all over the island so nobody is at a disadvantage, there will be one or two you can do on the odd sunny afternoon and a few you can get to and from an overnight stopover. (I understand that GB is a much bigger island so your idea of an English version is more practical )

They're mostly off the beaten track and are chosen for either an interesting subject or a fantastic view or a great road to get there. This encourage people to get off the motorways and dual carriageways to see places we wouldn't even know exist. I'd imagine people taking detours on the way to rallies.

There is no prize for coming first, the whole point is to take your time and enjoy it. Also you'd need ACU approval as it would be classed as motorsport.

It produces great pictures as people are inspired by each other posting on forums and Facebook and try to be a bit arty.

Most of all it's fun and quite addictive.
Marty ULC

Postby Donnie » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:39 pm

Phil D wrote:What about round the county you live in .
There was a LCGB member who attempted to ride round Yorkshire in a day I fancied doing something similar but maybe in two days :shock:
Yeah that was Wellerchap, nutter :-)

He used to do a great thing on the old WKFA SC site yearly where you had a list of things you had to photograph with your scooter in eg red phone box, a river etc so that allowed you to get something local to you, but also he'd add in a few certain interesting things like a Meridian etc was quite good craic, the weekly photo challenge on this forum is inspired from that in fact.

However a ride round your county is a grand idea, but it doesnt fit in with a photo rally if you see what I mean
Donnie

Postby Marty ULC » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:47 pm

Every time I pass the back of downpatrick race course and see the cathedral in the distance I think I could've got double fecker points for that shot...
Marty ULC

Postby Marty ULC » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:33 pm

Richard Campbell plaque and viewpoint.

You can just see Scotland in the distance. Bitterly cold up on the Antrim coast today.
Marty ULC

Postby Bilko » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:59 pm

You did well again Marty. Looking forward to joining up with you Saturday for a spin
Bilko

Postby Marty ULC » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:30 am

Bilko wrote:You did well again Marty. Looking forward to joining up with you Saturday for a spin

Same here 8-)
Marty ULC

Postby Marty ULC » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:06 pm

Met up with Bilko today and had a great spin down to Nendrum to explore the monestary and get a pic of the castle for the photorally.
Thanks for the company today mate. 8-)
Marty ULC

Postby wellerchap » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:04 pm

Great to see you fellas out & about!
wellerchap

Postby Bilko » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:08 pm

Enjoyed that.

I can't believe that I haven't been round Strangford Loch, especially as it's just over the flippin hill. I'll be heading down again to chill out and watch the sun go down.

It was great getting out with you Marty and a pleasure to meet Emily. Thank you.
Bilko

Next

Return to Show Your Ride