LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Back From The Dead - Saving An Engine - UPDATE 18/3/18 & VID

LAMBRETTA ONLY PLEASE
Show your Lambretta off to us all with pictures of your pride and joy.

Back From The Dead - Saving An Engine - UPDATE 18/3/18 & VID

Postby Cosmic Wizard » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:53 pm

After the interest my first engine build thread got, I'd like to share another with you. What follows is a bit of background to the engine and also what I had to do to get it apart. This first post is quite lengthy - you have been warned lol.

This engine was fitted, I say 'fitted', it was hanging out of my series 3 LI when I bought it. The engine was siezed and it wasn't in the best condition, so I decided to find a 125cc engine to fit and register the scooter with.

Before I bought the replacement engine, I started to strip this one in the hope of it being a relatively simple rebuid/freshen-up. However, it wasn't. The stripdown took literally a month of Sundays. I've never come across an engine that put up so much of a fight. I actually belive it had been sitting in a river or a bucket for 20 or 30 years.

I wanted to start by removing the flywheel and stator plate. The flywheel had corroded itself to the mag housing. After chipping some of the mag housing aluminium away, the flywheel could then be removed using a puller. The stator then came out with no problems.

I then removed the spark plug and the head. The plug came out easily, but the head had corroded around the barrel studs and no amount of heat and prying could get it free. To remove the head, I broke the majority of the metal away, then used a hacksaw to cut down the sides of the studs. Doing this, and a bit more heat, eventually freed the remainder of the head off.

The next job was to remove the barrel. I cleared the cooling fins out, soaked the studs and bore with penetrating oil and reached for the blow-gun. After a little while, the barrel started to wobble and the crank started to free up. A few more squirts of oil got the crank and big end loosened up, but the piston could not be persuaded to shift.

At this point I didn't expect to save much, if any of this engine, so I got the drill out and fitted a hole saw that would go down the bore. I used this to drill through the crown of the piston and the piston rings could then be pried out. I continued to drill down until I hit the gudgeon pin, then used a chisel to break the piston skirt up which allowed me to lift the barrel clear of the crankcase.

Time now to remove the mag housing. I wound in the T-bars which then promptly stripped the threads out of the housing. I fired-up the blow-gun again, started to gently tap the edges of the housing which led to lots of broken pieces on the worktop and no movement.

I took a break from the mag housing and started stripping the chaincase down. There was no oil inside, but everything came off nice and easily, which was nice. I decided to use the crankshaft as a drift to remove the remains of the mag housing. I got my biggest copper hammer, fired-up the blow-gun - again, then started whacking. Eventually after about 10 minutes, I saw some movement, and shortly after, it was all over :)

Time now to strip the gearbox down. I removed the endplate and pulled out the gears and gear cluster. For some reason I decided to count some teeth and it was to my surprise, that what I had, was an LI150 Special or 'Pacemaker' gearset.

The stripdown was almost complete. All that was left to do was strip the chaincase cover and remove the silent blocks. There is an old saying, where there is pleasure, there must come pain. The Pacemaker gearset was the pleasure and trying to remove the silent blocks was a whole load of pain. Even with the proper tool, these were complete agro to get out. After coming this far, the last thing I wanted to do is fracture the casing where the mounts locate. Fortunately, and after stripping the thread on my tool, the mounts were removed.

With the casing fully stripped, I had to helicoil one of the M8 chaincase stud threads and also remove the other which had been sheared off. This job was completed with no dramas. I then put the cases and parts to one side with the vision of using the cases to make a fast engine.

A few months pass, and while I was in the process of rebuilding the 125 engine, I sent the 150 cases away with a new mag housing to be vapour blasted. Unfortunately, although nice and clean, the cases are quite badly pitted, so I'm going to rebuild back to a standard 150cc but using a 125cc gearset. I still want to build a fast engine, so I will keep the Pacemaker gearset for that.

Now you are all pretty much up-to-date and if you're all still awake (lol), your prize is lots of pics :D
Thanks for reading,
Jim.

Here is the engine just after removal:

Trying to remove the flywheel:

Flywheel removed:

And off with the stator:

Manky spark plug:

Head before removal:

Losing my head:

Cutting down the side of the studs:

Mmm, nice:

Brutal piston removal:

Rings out:

And off with the barrel:

Remainder of Piston removed:

Chaincase cover removed:

Compressing the clutch for circlip removal:

Clutch assembly removed:

Front sprocket removed:

Looks like a shim, but it's the rest of the oil thrower plate:

Rusty Lee:

Siezed rear brake shaft removed and bent brake arm:

Mag housing removal:

Finally out:

And out with the crank:

Hmm, someone has been here before:

A few random pics:

Last edited by Cosmic Wizard on Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:35 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Cosmic Wizard

Re: Back From The Dead - Saving An Engine

Postby dickie » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:21 am

Well done. I did a similar one a couple of years ago. Really tests your patience/resilience/toolset doesn't it?

By the way, late 125 s3 had the same gearbox as pacemaker although I'm not sure if they had the stronger 3rd gear or not.

Good luck.
dickie

Postby Cgt75b » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:40 am

May I ask, what is the time sert you are using?

Cgt75b
Cgt75b

Postby Knowledge » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:47 pm

Nice photo story. Thanks for sharing, but don't stop and keep the photos coming.
Knowledge

Postby Cosmic Wizard » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:31 pm

Evening all, thanks for the comments :)

Just popped in to say, I haven't forgotten about you, just been really busy with work. I will update you all by the weekend. The engine is now finished and waiting to be fitted ;) I'm planning on going on the Kickstart run on the 11th, so that would be its first outing if I get it in the scooter in time.

Stay tuned for more pics.

@ dickie - You can say that again mate, it fought me every step of the way. I would say halfway through was the point of no return - those cases had to be saved. They are however very pitted, but I'm willing to put up with that as it reminds me just how bad they were.
I didn't know that about the later 125 gearsets (being the same as the Pacemaker). Thanks for that :)

@ Cgt75b - That particular one is a Clarke/Machine Mart kit. For the money, I would definitely recommend it.

@ Knowledge - Thanks. Don't worry, I will update soon ;)
Cosmic Wizard

Re: Back From The Dead - Saving An Engine - Tiny Update 6/3/

Postby Cgt75b » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:38 am

Thanks O cosmic wizard :D
Cgt75b

Re: Back From The Dead - Saving An Engine - Tiny Update 6/3/

Postby Cosmic Wizard » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:28 pm

Good evening everyone. As promised, an update and pics for your perusal :D

A couple of months have now passed and while I was in the process of stripping a 125 for a rebuild, I decided to get these cases vapour blasted at the same time. Considering the state of the engine when I started, I'm very pleased with just how clean the cases have come up. Unfortunately there is a lot of pitting, but the way I look at it, alot of people would probably have just thrown this engine in the bin, or broken parts of it while stripping it down. The pitting serves as a reminder for just how bad it was.

With the cases back, I put together another shopping list of parts required to get it all back together. Some parts were standard rebuild items, but there were other parts that were so badly corroded, they were beyond any renovation. Oh I should just say, I bought a new mag housing - a SIL part- as the original one came off in several pieces.

I ordered a couple of extra parts today as I have decided to make this engine as complete as possible so I can save a bit of time when I fit it in my scooter. I have ordered a new rear hub & cone, an electronic stator plate and electronic flywheel. I'm pretty sure I've got some spare cowlings knocking about too.

I hope to have this engine fitted on Saturday with the aim of making it to the Kickstart ride-out on Sunday. That is my challenge, should I choose to accept it lol.

Anyway, that's enough of the rabbit, I'll let the pics do the rest.

As always, thanks for the comments and the interest.
There will be another update soon.
Jim :)

A new GP150 barrel, piston and head:

Some port matching and smoothing:

Bugger! I missed a sheared chaincase stud:

Just give it a little tickle with an end mill to flatten the surface:

Then a centre drill was used as a pilot:

Then in with a 5mm twist drill:

Voila:

An old trick which usually works:

With a bit of heat:

I forgot to take a pic of helicoiling that thread as no amount of heat and persistence would get the rest of that stud out. I ran a 6mm drill through, then tapped and inserted the helicoil.

This little lot needs cleaning:

A bit of wear on the clutch basket:

A little scrape of a file sorts that out:

Bath time:

Nice and clean:

New silent blocks to fit:

Fitted:

New brake shoe pivots, layshaft bearing and plate fitted:

Warming-up the case ready to fit the gear cluster bush:

Bush fitted with new end-plate studs and dowels:

Gear selector shaft bush fitting:

New end-plate/gear cluster bearing:

New gear selector dog, ball bearings and spring fitted to layshaft:

Layshaft fitted:

Gearset and cluster dropped in:

Checking for gear to end-plate clearance:

End-plate refitted after shimming (2mm shim) and torqued down with new nuts and washers:

New driveside bearing and seal:

A bit of heat:

Bearing dropped straight in:

As usual, retainer plate fitted with new socket-cap bolts which were Locktited and centre-punched to prevent loosening off:

New mag-housing bearing and seal ready to fit:

Fitted:

Nice new crankshaft fitted:

Mag-housing fitted and torqued down:

See you again soon :D
Last edited by Cosmic Wizard on Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cosmic Wizard

Re: Back From The Dead - Saving An Engine - BIG Update 7/3/1

Postby Toddy » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:11 am

Nice work and great pics , i see what you mean by the pitting , good luck with getting it finished
Toddy

Postby peejay » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:13 pm

thanks for all the pics :)
peejay

Postby Nudger » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:53 am

I love these kinda posts - keep 'em coming!
Nudger

Postby Cosmic Wizard » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:39 pm

Evening all :D

Time for another update with pics. This update sees the fitting-up of the chaincase cover, fitting of the clutch and sprockets, checking squish clearance and a few bits & pieces.

I have decided to buy a flywheel, stator and hub for this engine, that way I don't have to rob parts from my 125 (only the cowlings).

Unfortunately, the above parts didn't arrive in time for Saturday, so I couldn't get the engine fitted for the ride-out on Sunday :( It will however be ready for fitting and firing-up this weekend.

As usual, there are a couple of parts that I've forgotten to order, so hopefully these will be here in time for Sunday.

As usual, thanks for reading and commenting.
Cheers
Jim :)

Soaking the new clutch plates:

This is the old oil thrower, which I thought was a shim:

New one fitted:

Front & rear sprockets, cush-drive and chain fitted:

The final rusty old bits about to receive treatment:

All clean:

New rear brake arm fitted (old one was bent and rusty):

New washer and bump-stop fitted:

New gear arm and cable adjuster block:

That's better :) :

Fitting new chaincase studs:

Parts ready for fitting to the chaincase cover:

New kickstart shaft seal fitted:

Kickstart shaft and piston fitted:

Clutch operating shaft fitted:

Clutch springs in position:

Clutch bell in position:

And the new oiled clutch plates fitted:

Compressing the clutch assembly prior to fitting the circlip:

All done:

Chaincase cover fitted (M8 studs still to fit):

Fitting the barrel/head studs:

Barrel & piston fitted without rings and 1mm solder placed in bore to check squish clearance:

With a standard thickness headgasket (0.43mm), the squish clearance was 0.63mm. The clearance should be between 1.00 & 1.50mm. To get this into range, I fitted a 1mm head gasket. This made the clearance 1.2mm.

A few parts to assemble the rear brake shoes:

New rear shoes fitted:

New inlet and exhaust gaskets & studs fitted:

New flywheel woodruff key fitted:

Almost finished. It's come a long way:

Cheers
Jim
Cosmic Wizard

Re: Back From The Dead - Saving An Engine - Update Time 14/3

Postby Nudger » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:48 pm

'Its come a long way'...that's an understatement for sure. Nice job!
Nudger

Postby Cosmic Wizard » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:07 am

Thanks mate :D
Should be going in my scooter at the weekend, so I'll do a vid of it running (hopefully) lol.
Cosmic Wizard

Postby serveta1 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:24 pm

Brilliant thread, really enjoyed it, excellent job. Looking at one of your photos it just looks like you might have left the built in oil seal in on the sprocket side of your new drive bearing. Sorry not trying to crib & sorry again if I’ve got it wrong. Looking forward to seeing it all up & running.
serveta1

Postby Cosmic Wizard » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:58 am

serveta1 wrote:Brilliant thread, really enjoyed it, excellent job. Looking at one of your photos it just looks like you might have left the built in oil seal in on the sprocket side of your new drive bearing. Sorry not trying to crib & sorry again if I’ve got it wrong. Looking forward to seeing it all up & running.

Morning :D

Thank you for pointing that out, I did realise my mistake and took the bearing out and removed the seal. However, I thought I took another pic, but looking through, I didn't. I will change that pic for the one out of my 125cc engine build thread so no one copies and makes that mistake.

Thanks for the comment, there is one more update to come (today) and a vid of it running :mrgreen:

Stay tuned....
Cosmic Wizard

Postby Cgt75b » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:59 am

Which is a good thing double protection.
Cgt75b

Postby serveta1 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:25 am

Hi, pleased you spotted it, have really enjoyed reading your thread, you’ve done a brilliant job, looking forward to seeing it fire up! Well done, excellent work!
serveta1

Postby Cosmic Wizard » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:08 pm

Afternoon all :)

As promised, another update. Well, it's the last big update actually.

Unfortunately I couldn't make the Kickstart rideout as some parts had been held up :( I decided that I wanted this engine to be as complete as possible as I didn't want to start removing parts from my 125, so I ordered another flywheel, stator, fan cowling, rear hub & cone and a couple of bits and bobs (which I originally forgot to order) lol.

I have yet to get the video of it running uploaded, but it won't be too far behind. Thanks to those that have viewed and commented. This was by far the worst engine I've had to strip down, but alot of fun putting back together :)

I shall let the pics do the rest. Take it easy.
Jim

New flywheel and stator:

Stator fitted:

Timing set:

Fitted a new cable grommet-ding-dong:

Fitted two new crankcase/exhaust hanger studs:

Probably the only original part of this engine, other than the cases lol:

Time to sort this mess out. It also needs to be modified to fit around the Clubman downpipe:

New cone. Better than the rusty one:

New SIL hub with nut and lock plate fitted:

New Scootopia inlet manifold fitted - also a new flywheel cowling:

Head cowling spruced-up and fitted. Joseph's Technicolour Lambretta engine:

Shiny new SH1/20 carburettor from Scootopia:

Finally fitted :D :

Video still to follow.... ;)
Last edited by Cosmic Wizard on Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cosmic Wizard

Re: Back From The Dead - Saving An Engine - UPDATE 18/3/18

Postby Cosmic Wizard » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:32 pm

Here's the vid. Enjoy :D

Cosmic Wizard

Re: Back From The Dead - Saving An Engine - UPDATE 18/3/18 &

Postby Toddy » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:16 pm

Excellent , a good honest video :D sounds sweet did it get a test ride ?
Toddy

Next

Return to Show Your Ride