LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Blown oil seal ?

Might be worth while looking in here first, as we post the most frequently asked questions within here!

Blown oil seal ?

Postby steveiow » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:18 pm

I've just been to start up my Serveta and it took about 10 kicks to start, usually first kick. Also didn't need any choke. When it did start black oil shot out of the end of the clubman pipe. I placed my hand over the exhaust and the scooter ran okay. I've not checked gearbox oil or the plug. But am I correct in assuming that the oil seal has blown? Also the revs seen higher on tickover.
steveiow

Re: Blown oil seal ?

Postby Fast n Furious » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:00 pm

Usually, with a warmed up engine you will get a cloud of heavy smoke when revved up if the seal or halite washer is knackered.
Place a rag over the tail pipe end and rev it a bit. Does the rag smell like 2 stroke or gear oil?
If you are burning gear oil it could be that one of the crank webs has twisted on the big end pin. This will allow small amounts of gear oil to pass the oil seal if it has twisted.
If you find that you are gonna have to strip the engine and replace the seals, then do a crank alignment check as well, else all your efforts could be in vane.
Fast n Furious

Postby steveiow » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:04 am

Thanks for the reply. Started it again yesterday. About 15 kicks to start, spewed black oil from the exhaust. Think it's time for the rebuild on my spare casings. Building up a 225 rapido over next month. So this engine will be taken out , spare 175 fitted and the 225 built up.
steveiow

Postby Toddy » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:10 am

steveiow wrote:Thanks for the reply. Started it again yesterday. About 15 kicks to start, spewed black oil from the exhaust. Think it's time for the rebuild on my spare casings. Building up a 225 rapido over next month. So this engine will be taken out , spare 175 fitted and the 225 built up.

Im sure Ian will help you ;)
Toddy

Return to Frequently Asked Questions