LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Conversion of long fin to short fin flywheel cover

Might be worth while looking in here first, as we post the most frequently asked questions within here!

Conversion of long fin to short fin flywheel cover

Postby citydaz » Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:48 pm

Got a fettling question that hopefully soomebody can help me with.
Got my engine (dl150) back the other week from having a Mugello 205cc upgrade.
So I started the simple task of attaching the cylinder cowl and flywheel cover.
So it turns out the flywheel cover that i previously had paid to be painted badly the wrong colour, and then corrected by powder coating a nice bright white colour is in fact a long fin version whilst I need the short fin version. The gaps from the edge of the magneto casing to the flywheel cover are i guess proof of this.
So instead of wasting the money again that i had already wasted once, i though why not simply fettle 9mm from around the circumference of the the flywheel cover?
This would then align the flywheel to the casing closing the gaps.
There is sufficient land to reposition the slotted holes for the bolts, but instead of re-inserting the grommets i am going to glue 2mm rubber strip around the housing.
Will this work?
Cheers
citydaz

Re: Conversion of long fin to short fin flywheel cover

Postby dickie » Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:59 pm

Daz, I'm not 100% sure what you're asking here but....

I've just compared a long and short cover that I have in the garage and yes, you could easily slot the long fin one to bring it closer to the top of the flywheel impeller blades, which is vital for an efficient impeller.

I think you asked if gluing 2mm rubber all round the seal against the mag housing was ok. It's a really good idea and again makes the fan far more effective. I fit draught excluder tape here to create a good seal.
dickie

Re: Conversion of long fin to short fin flywheel cover

Postby citydaz » Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:25 pm

Thanks, you have answered my question perfectly!
citydaz

Return to Frequently Asked Questions