LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

VAT on stuff from SIP

Might be worth while looking in here first, as we post the most frequently asked questions within here!

VAT on stuff from SIP

Postby Specialcase » Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:47 pm

Hi all members
Has anyone ordered anything from SIP and had to pay VAT or had any problems with courses etc? One hears so many stories about VAT, surcharges & extra charges by courier? Your post Brexit experiences would be appreciated.
TIA
Spl
Specialcase

Re: VAT on stuff from SIP

Postby landybretta » Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:13 pm

Goods purchased from EU countries are imports and are subject to VAT.
Import duty is also payable on goods over £135.
landybretta

Postby bolzenanker » Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:44 pm

I recently experimented with an order for a box of oil from SIP, purposely keeping the value below £135.
The oil cost me £74.37, £1.07 for packing and £18.34 for shipping.

I deliberately chose DHL for shipping having heard of many issues with UPS.

I placed the order on 27th July and the oil arrived at work on 2nd August 2022.

So far no VAT charges, either German or UK, so my oil cost me £7.82 per litre.

Happy with that.
bolzenanker

Postby Toddy » Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:48 pm

As above I ordered a cuprini front rack I think was @£65 posted again with DHL wick delivery 4-5 days ,no extra charges yet !
Toddy

Postby Knowledge » Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:13 pm

I do occasional work with an online Vespa dealer and there are curious things happening post-Brexit.

He orders from both SIP and Scooter Center in Germany.

The first thing to note is that (trader) prices are quoted with VAT on SIP, and without VAT on SC site (at work, we only refer to the trade price, so retail prices might have the VAT displayed differently).

The curious thing is that both suppliers use DHL. In fact, they use the same hub depot, but while big orders from SC arrive after a few days, the big orders from SIP take at least three weeks.

Furthermore, SIP invoices have to display the location of where each item was manufactured as each line on the invoice can incur different import levies. If the country of origin is not shown, the DHL charge the recipient for a special charge because they (DHL) have to find this out for themselves, causing delay as well as expense. However, this only affects SIP orders and we haven’t yet found an explanation of why.

It is painful, complicated, frustrating, time-consuming and expensive.
Knowledge

Postby Specialcase » Wed Aug 24, 2022 3:11 pm

Oh well I’ll see what transpires, knowing my luck it’ll get lost and I’ll still have to pay VAT!
Specialcase

Postby Specialcase » Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:28 am

Ordered my Dell’o VHSH 30mm from SIP on 22/08 received 31/08 £158.70 delivered!
Specialcase

Postby ULC Soulagent » Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:10 am

Specialcase wrote:Ordered my Dell’o VHSH 30mm from SIP on 22/08 received 31/08 £158.70 delivered!

I’d call that a result but from my experience I’ve been hit with vat, import duty and handling fees :twisted: a few weeks later from DHL, other times I’ve had nothing too pay extra especially from Rimini lads. I know the Norn Irish lads get charged nothing extra for imports from the likes of SIP, SCK and the likes.
ULC Soulagent

Return to Frequently Asked Questions