LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Painting panels

Might be worth while looking in here first, as we post the most frequently asked questions within here!

Painting panels

Postby datpat64 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:27 pm

Got a spare set of panels for an Li and fancied a bit of a Supertune design (white over green).

Question is would the white aerosol go directly over the green base aerosol, or do I somehow need to spray it on to a primed or keyed surface?

Looked at all sorts on you tube and still not sure
datpat64

Re: Painting panels

Postby coaster » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:21 pm

I think I would be inclined to spray the white on first. cover the whole panel in white primer then spray white gloss over the area where the white is required without masking. Let that go off then mask up the white stripe area and apply the green. If you do it the other way you will need to prime under the white and you will get a thick ridge when you peel the tape off.

If you are using spray cans, bare in mind that petrol will dissolve single pack acrylic so you will need to finish off with a petrol resistant lacquer
coaster

Postby MickYork » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:42 am

2-pack aerosols are now available......
MickYork

Postby coaster » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:40 am

MickYork wrote:2-pack aerosols are now available......

Be careful though as some are sold as 2 pack but are only single pack. The type you need will have an activator device.
coaster

Postby datpat64 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:31 am

Coaster

I have the type with activator in the bottom so should be good to go. Good advice about the white first and the ridge, so am going to try it that way on the first panel.

Thanks for your advice
datpat64

Return to Frequently Asked Questions