LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Chaincase gaskets...

Might be worth while looking in here first, as we post the most frequently asked questions within here!

Chaincase gaskets...

Postby Andy B.L.C. » Fri May 24, 2019 7:54 pm

Evenin' all. I'm just sorting an oil leak issue. I have access to both a 1.5mm cork gasket & a BGM silicone'd one. Does anyone out there have a preference & if so why? With many thanx in advance
Andy B.L.C.

Re: Chaincase gaskets...

Postby Scooterdude » Fri May 24, 2019 9:02 pm

Scooter restorations or Scootopia gaskets both good. Double up if you need to.

Had a thicker 1.5 mm from Lambretta upgrades leaked like a sieve.

Some of the cheaper standard 0.5mm gaskets need trimming with scissors to fit around the cable block.
Scooterdude

Postby Solid Air » Fri May 24, 2019 9:41 pm

Just a straight forward one Andy, greased so that it doesn't stick and can be reused if careful. Don't think the cork seal as well as modern types but I've found the silicone comes off the new style in bits so only really good for one use.
Solid Air

Postby dickie » Fri May 24, 2019 9:48 pm

I had a leak due to a slightly warped case after big block conversion. Used a cork one from KTF scooters.

Been on 2 years but I've only started using it recently so only about 200 miles. Not a drop.
dickie

Postby Andy B.L.C. » Sat May 25, 2019 12:17 am

Solid Air wrote:Just a straight forward one Andy, greased so that it doesn't stick and can be reused if careful. Don't think the cork seal as well as modern types but I've found the silicone comes off the new style in bits so only really good for one use.

Gotcha, ta! Just seen the Newtown Neurotics & a bit ...
Andy B.L.C.

Postby Mel K » Sat May 25, 2019 2:22 pm

The silicon used on the BGM ones disintegrates once it comes into contact with the engine oil , this happens while on the bench even before use . So will probably cause no end of leaks once running. Save yourself money and time and don’t use them .
Mel K

Postby Andy B.L.C. » Sat May 25, 2019 8:40 pm

Mel K wrote:The silicon used on the BGM ones disintegrates once it comes into contact with the engine oil , this happens while on the bench even before use . So will probably cause no end of leaks once running. Save yourself money and time and don’t use them .

YIKES!!! That's the one I went for (the cork one taped to the seat base)... I'm surprised that Ulf & Oli (Scootercenter) would have such poor quality control... having said that though there was a blue (silicon colour) bleed through on the edge of the casings potentially being symptomatic of silicon breakdown, I'd (as daddy Mark pointed out, yes I've done this before :o ;) ) greased the gasket before fitting. So do I pull everything apart again...? Any further input...? Ta!
Andy B.L.C.

Postby Solid Air » Sat May 25, 2019 10:51 pm

Sorry mate if this was the (unintentional) scooter version of man-splaining :oops:
Solid Air

Postby Andy B.L.C. » Sun May 26, 2019 2:32 am

:lol:
Andy B.L.C.

Postby Mel K » Sun May 26, 2019 8:48 am

Andy , you can leave it and use it or change it but it will leak and the silicon will dissolve, the silicon used is not compatible with oil but the blue bead does look nice compared to one without. Choices .
Mel K

Postby Andy B.L.C. » Sun May 26, 2019 9:33 pm

Cheerz Mel, I get that... Basically a standard gasket with a pretty blue self destructing bead... In my case it's sealed nicely (so far...), as would a standard (cheaper) gasket have done. It turns out that I not only had a chaincase oil leak but also a, post gearbox endplate stud repair, pin hole in the engine block... :(
Andy B.L.C.

Return to Frequently Asked Questions