LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Uni stuff main dealer? Is it AF?

Might be worth while looking in here first, as we post the most frequently asked questions within here!

Uni stuff main dealer? Is it AF?

Postby Andy B.L.C. » Sun May 17, 2020 7:34 am

I need a Uni sidecasing (not polished/chromed/satin finish) to get the easy pull Chiselspeed touch so that I can carry on riding (Taunton train station won the fight... feel free to ask...). The prices (no standard finish available) seem to vary from the high £80's to nearly £150 WTF!? any thoughts?
Andy B.L.C.

Re: Uni stuff main dealer? Is it AF?

Postby MickYork » Sun May 17, 2020 7:46 am

AF helped develop the new UNI casings and offer a good discount for LCGB members. Probably the cheapest dealer for most parts. Just had an order delivered within 2 days of ordering.

The downside is ordering, the phones hit and miss and the website isn't the best. I copied what I wanted from their site (plus a couple of bits I couldn't find on site) then emailed the order.....got a call the next day, paid, followed by a swift delivery.
MickYork

Postby Andy B.L.C. » Sun May 17, 2020 8:43 am

Tidy ta m8! I have spent too much of my life (waiting) on the phone to AF... :shock:

The service once communicated/received was A1 :D
Andy B.L.C.

Postby Toot » Sun May 17, 2020 10:38 am

Andy B.L.C. wrote:I need a Uni sidecasing (not polished/chromed/satin finish) to get the easy pull Chiselspeed touch so that I can carry on riding (Taunton train station won the fight... feel free to ask...). The prices (no standard finish available) seem to vary from the high £80's to nearly £150 WTF!? any thoughts?

Andy

Chiselspeed will supply the UNI sidecasing if you ask them. That's what I did and got everything through quicker than if I'd gone to separate dealers to source different parts.
Toot

Postby Andy B.L.C. » Sun May 17, 2020 11:10 am

Ta m8! Random other question what might a 22.0 frame be worth these days...?
Andy B.L.C.

Postby Storkfoot » Sun May 17, 2020 1:51 pm

MickYork wrote:AF helped develop the new UNI casings and offer a good discount for LCGB members. Probably the cheapest dealer for most parts. Just had an order delivered within 2 days of ordering.

The downside is ordering, the phones hit and miss and the website isn't the best. I copied what I wanted from their site (plus a couple of bits I couldn't find on site) then emailed the order.....got a call the next day, paid, followed by a swift delivery.

That’s what I do. I sometimes have to wait 2 or 3 days for a call back but they always call. Recently, if I miss the call, I phone straight back and get through right away. Doubtless, this is because the shop is closed.

They are out of stock on a few Uni items. They only had a polished crankcase side left and had no mag housings a couple of weeks ago.
Storkfoot

Postby superhooper » Sun May 17, 2020 5:38 pm

You can make your own. Check out steelweasel on you tube, he shows you how to do it.
superhooper

Postby Andy B.L.C. » Thu May 21, 2020 10:00 pm

superhooper wrote:You can make your own. Check out steelweasel on you tube, he shows you how to do it.

Now you're talking!! Cheerz superhooper (!) & the rest of the active forum crew for help & advice! "So now it's filing time..." (add Sid James laugh :lol: Cheerz Steve R for sharing without the profit motive, respect :D )

I take that's an ali bar right...?!
Last edited by Andy B.L.C. on Thu May 21, 2020 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy B.L.C.

Postby Solid Air » Thu May 21, 2020 10:06 pm

Wotcha Andy, another vote for the SteelWeasel vids. Nice and straight forward, no excessive waffle and some useful info to be had... his piano playing not too hot though ;) :lol:
Solid Air

Postby Andy B.L.C. » Thu May 21, 2020 10:08 pm

Better than mine m8! :lol:
Andy B.L.C.

Postby MickYork » Thu May 21, 2020 10:26 pm

with Chiselspeed charging £180 I can see someone selling the 2 parts for £20 ? and still making a nice profit.
MickYork

Postby Andy B.L.C. » Thu May 21, 2020 11:51 pm

Hope so, I'll buy 3 :lol:
Andy B.L.C.

Postby Toot » Fri May 22, 2020 8:11 am

MickYork wrote:with Chiselspeed charging £180 I can see someone selling the 2 parts for £20 ? and still making a nice profit.

To be fair, there is a fair bit of machining to be done to the side casing to get it working correctly.

My mate tried to make his own and there was a lot of trial and error and much of his own time to get it perfect.
Toot

Postby superhooper » Fri May 22, 2020 8:08 pm

I've just bought one of the easy clutch mechanism that you fit inline of cable. £20.00 eBay firm called aptico I'll post the results when fitted
superhooper

Postby Andy B.L.C. » Fri May 22, 2020 9:13 pm

Just a thought... So would an inline thingy + a Steelweasel/CST doofer = double results (ie akin to an hydraulic clutch..?) Nice idea for sure though probably not... In my compromised left hand situation anything & everything that helps me to stay on 'brettas is welcome news... :cry:
Andy B.L.C.

Postby Toot » Fri May 22, 2020 9:36 pm

Andy B.L.C. wrote:Just a thought... So would an inline thingy + a Steelweasel/CST doofer = double results (ie akin to an hydraulic clutch..?) Nice idea for sure though probably not... In my compromised left hand situation anything & everything that helps me to stay on 'brettas is welcome news... :cry:

That's the reason I got a side casing done through Chiselspeed Andy. It made riding out to Poland a back an absolute pleasure rather than a wrist killer.
Toot

Postby missing lynx » Fri May 22, 2020 9:47 pm

I've got an easy clutch on both my scooters ones got a 5 plate clutch with strong springs and the other is 4 plate with strong springs. They are both a lot lighter to use but they have a vague feel thats not to everyone's liking also they do need modifying slightly to make them user friendly
missing lynx

Postby Andy B.L.C. » Fri May 22, 2020 10:55 pm

[quote="missing lynx"]I've got an easy clutch on both my scooters ones got a 5 plate clutch with strong springs and the other is 4 plate with strong springs. They are both a lot lighter to use but they have a vague feel thats not to everyone's liking also they do need modifying slightly to make them user friendly[/quote

More words on the 'modify' bit pls m8...? My thoughts being if mounted on the leggy/horncasting mounting point would be way better than down the scooter emporium shown/gearlinkeage shown point... Any thoughts?
Andy B.L.C.

Postby missing lynx » Fri May 22, 2020 11:12 pm

Andy B.L.C. wrote:
missing lynx wrote:I've got an easy clutch on both my scooters ones got a 5 plate clutch with strong springs and the other is 4 plate with strong springs. They are both a lot lighter to use but they have a vague feel thats not to everyone's liking also they do need modifying slightly to make them user friendly[/quote

More words on the 'modify' bit pls m8...? My thoughts being if mounted on the leggy/horncasting mounting point would be way better than down the scooter emporium shown/gearlinkeage shown point... Any thoughts?

You will need to drill a hole to allow the inner cable coming from the lever to go through a solderless nipple in the easyclutch and pass out the other side of the casing to make setting and replacing easier. My 2 are under the horncast where the horn would be ( I've got a dc air horn under the floor) on my gp I had one sitting by the engine mount also make sure you put plenty of grease in it by the way they just hang free they aren't mounted
missing lynx

Return to Frequently Asked Questions