LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

DVLA Inspection

Might be worth while looking in here first, as we post the most frequently asked questions within here!

DVLA Inspection

Postby SteveNaive » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:56 pm

I bought a S2 Li back in May which was imported and without registration so I went through Rob Skipsey who was a great help.
I finally received a letter from DVLA today saying “Before we can proceed with your application your vehicle need to be inspected by our providers’.

I’ve googled it and not much has come up, can anyone tell me what the inspection is likely to involve? Cheers!

The icing on the cake is that all inspections are on hold at present due to the coronavirus pandemic *#@!

Steve
SteveNaive

Re: DVLA Inspection

Postby Toddy » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:35 pm

SteveNaive wrote:I bought a S2 Li back in May which was imported and without registration so I went through Rob Skipsey who was a great help.
I finally received a letter from DVLA today saying “Before we can proceed with your application your vehicle need to be inspected by our providers’.

I’ve googled it and not much has come up, can anyone tell me what the inspection is likely to involve? Cheers!

The icing on the cake is that all inspections are on hold at present due to the coronavirus pandemic *#@!

Steve

The main thing they will look at is the frame number , wont be bothered about the engine number the scooter needs to look like its built as well , doesn't need to run as long as the panel work is on and its on wheels should be ok
Toddy

Postby SteveNaive » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:08 pm

Thanks Toddy.

With the current restrictions I may well be waiting until next year for them to have a peek at the frame.

I’ll bell them tomorrow and plead, if that doesn’t work I’ll get angry and finish by sobbing uncontrollably :)
SteveNaive

Postby SteveNaive » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:10 pm

It’s all running, in the time it’s taken so far the engines been split and rebuilt, forks refurbed and wiring sorted plus numerous other bits.
I’m half tempted to ride it down there and show them.
SteveNaive

Postby davla » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:24 pm

I've found that when I include pics of the scooter with the V55 etc that they don't bother to inspect, just a little hint for future registration applications.
davla

Postby Rich Oswald » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:33 am

Hi Steve,

Maybe you have been unlucky as this is the first one that I have heard of since lockdown that has been held for inspection. Inspections have been suspended but perhaps they are now starting them up again. As said sending photos does help and also if you send an MOT despite it not needing one you are less likely to get selected for inspection. None of this helps you now though but may help you or others in the future. Hope your wait isn't too long.

Richard Oswald
LCGB Registrar
Rich Oswald

Location: Wiseman From The East (East Of The Pennines That Is)

Postby SteveNaive » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:18 pm

Thanks for your input gents!

Seems daft selecting one for inspection then stating inspections are on hold while the pandemic is at large, still thats bureaucracy for ya.

Next time (and there will be one :D ) I’ll make sure I send plenty of photos.
SteveNaive

Postby SteveNaive » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:26 am

Woohoo!!!

Well it’s finally come through, 4 months door to door.

Despite the letter from the dvla regarding the postponement of inspections another one came through about three weeks back with the SGS inspection peeps number on. A quick call and the inspection was booked in 5 days later. 10 days after that the reg finally arrived.

All the inspection was was a few photos and a look at the frame number, all done in under 5 minutes.

Now looking forward to bedding everything in and getting a few miles under my belt, play my cards right and I may even see some sunshine.
SteveNaive

Return to Frequently Asked Questions