LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Extreme vibration when front braking

Might be worth while looking in here first, as we post the most frequently asked questions within here!

Extreme vibration when front braking

Postby Gsparky » Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:52 pm

Hi all, I have been experiencing real bad vibrations to the front of scooter when I apply front brakes!, I have a 1964 li 150 silver special recently imported from Italy, , had it supposedly checked over before I went out on it but I am worried about this, I have been out twice since I had it registered, could it be the fork springs have gone or are the brake pads worn down?
Gsparky

Re: Extreme vibration when front braking

Postby Storkfoot » Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:06 pm

The first thing I would do is drop the hub and wheel out of the fork links and check that the two sides of the hub are properly bolted together. If they are, I’d open up the two halves and check that it is all put together correctly.
Storkfoot

Postby hullygully » Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:15 pm

check your forks are ok with tightness & brgs are ok
hullygully

Postby Gsparky » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:52 pm

Ok will do thanks
Gsparky

Postby Knowledge » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:09 pm

With the scooter off the stand, place your left thumb over the join between the bottom of the headset and the top of the inside of the legshields. Apply the front brake and rock the scooter forward and backwards and if the steering column is loose or the bearings worn, you should feel some movement under your thumb.

If there is no movement, then it could be a buildup of brake dust in the drum brake or worn shoes. Drop the drum brake out of the forks and separate the drum brake. Take care of the dust. If the brake shoes are old, the dust may contain asbestos.

Report back here with your findings.
Knowledge

Postby Gsparky » Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:40 pm

Ok will do, got some time off this week so will hopefully get to the bottom of it,
Many thanks
Gsparky

Postby Gsparky » Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:24 am

There was play when Scooter off stand and front brake on Between the leg shields and The bottom of the headset but I improved by loosening headset and tapping locknut round , also tightened the hub plate slightly, so vibration has gone but I have found the fork springs need replacing, can this be done with the forks in place?
Gsparky

Return to Frequently Asked Questions