LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Rear brake light switch

Might be worth while looking in here first, as we post the most frequently asked questions within here!

Rear brake light switch

Postby Herbert » Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:13 pm

Hello All.

I seem to be getting through brake light switches far too frquently at the moment. I'm using a 3-hole switch and they generally last for approx 6 months before failing. Do you good folk use a particular supplier/make that you could recommend to me, please?

Hope you can help.

Many thanks. H.
Herbert

Re: Rear brake light switch

Postby Toddy » Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:57 pm

I use the MB ones for the last few years no issues so far , do they fail internally or are they breaking ?
Toddy

Postby Herbert » Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:53 am

Thanks Toddy.
I've had them crack and break externally and fail internally. I will try an MB switch.
All the best. H.
Herbert

Postby Knowledge » Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:00 pm

Are you sure the brake pedal has the correct lug(s) on it so that when the pedal is released it doesn’t use the switch as the thing that stops it travelling upwards, rather than the longer lug on the paddle hitting the front cross-member?

It is a powerful return spring, so giving the brake switch a regular smack could shorten its life.

If the problem is water ingress, then I have sealed the wires with araldaie or silicon rather than rely on the rubber boot, which can sometimes collect water better than keeps it out of the switch.
Knowledge

Postby Herbert » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:05 pm

Thank you Knowledge.
I shall examine and test the brake pedal and lug. I too have sealed the wires with plenty of silicon to try and protect the interior of the switch from water ingress.
H.
Herbert

Return to Frequently Asked Questions